STILL a hot 2600+ - Page 2 - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-28-2004, 01:23 PM   #11 (permalink)
Send a message via AIM to ohGrFreak Send a message via Yahoo to ohGrFreak

my XP 2400 runs 60c under normal use.

Old 12-28-2004, 02:11 PM   #12 (permalink)
True Techie

i am in the same situation with my 3200+ it is also runnin at 55 celcius and 60 full load, so i have ordered the gigabyte 3d cooler rocket pro, heatsink/fan!! A friend of my bros suggested it could be the heatsink providing too much power!!!! so if mine still runs hot i'm gonna order a new psu!!! I suggest trying a diffferent one in ur case, corrupt!!!

Old 12-28-2004, 02:33 PM   #13 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Send a message via AIM to Megadeth2 Send a message via Yahoo to Megadeth2

That does seem a bit too high. My prescott on LGA775 overclocked to 3.73 GHz from 2.8 GHz runs 65C at full load. However, remember that this is an AXP and they were known for being heat kings until the Prescotts were released. So, I'm not surprised. Don't worry. Get a new heatsink and I suggest you get some Arctic Silver before doing anything else and makes sure you put only a dab on.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:35 PM   #14 (permalink)
Monster Techie
Send a message via AIM to Alex81388

Get the Extreme Volcano 12+ HSF by Thermaltake, and you will be very happy, but dont try to sleep with it on.
Sig removed due to foul language. Please read the rules regarding the allowable content of sigs before reposting your COMPLIANT sig.
Old 12-28-2004, 02:42 PM   #15 (permalink)
True Techie

Is there a chance it sud be the psu??
Old 12-28-2004, 02:57 PM   #16 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via AIM to The Rage

Actually, the PSU can make the CPU run hot. If your PSU has a fan blowing out the bottom it could be blowing hot air right on the CPU. Mine blows it out the back and the front....500w....looks cool too.
You wouldn\'t like me when I\'m angry
Old 12-28-2004, 03:51 PM   #17 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

you're about 5celcius above the average temp under load, but it's still within the normal temperatures. I think the reason might be the stock thermal paste you're using. get some artic silver ceramique paste (white). Another likely reason is poor case ventilation (cable clutter) or the room you have the computer in is a bit hotter than normal room temperature, 76 degrees farenheit
Old 12-28-2004, 03:54 PM   #18 (permalink)
True Techie

i'm not using stock paste, its this coolermaster stuff in a syringe!!
Old 12-28-2004, 05:26 PM   #19 (permalink)
Build Guru

OK well my old 2600+ barton was oc'd to 2.3ghz (stock 1.92) and at full load it was sitting firmly on 47c. I had stock thermal paste and a Thermaltake Volcano11 Xasier edition. My psu is also a chep 475watt that came stock w/ this crap case. I thikn you have poor ventilation or you have the htsink/fan put on wrong cause that is way up there!
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire Mechwarrior Online = Thunderson PSN = PP_Mguire

Need Descent and Mechwarrior buddies!
If I helped you, give a thanks! ↓
Access to my Plex PM me.
Old 12-28-2004, 06:31 PM   #20 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

my 2400+ XP was running at 64C Idle when I had nothing but the stock HSF on it and no other case fans.....this was before I knew about PC's it down to 54C but now I wonder if it was the motherboard I had it in, because my friend has that CPU in an ABit board I sold him and it's reporting like 39C whereas mine in the MSI board showed 55C

If your PSU has a fan blowing out the bottom it could be blowing hot air right on the CPU
I've never come across a PSU with the fan on the bottom blowing onto the CPU.

The bottom fan sucks in air, and the back fan blows it exactly like the one you linked except the fan is in a different place...

That's the only difference.

Closed Thread