Still can't figure this out... - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 12-12-2004, 04:46 PM   #1 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Question Still can't figure this out...

I posted on this topic a while back and got a couple replies and tried them all but they unfortunatley didn't solve my problem:

I want to add a cd burner to my current system. I set my first drive to master and the burner as slave (later tried jumperless but still didnt work), hooked up the cables (power/data) seated the drive in the right place in my case and powered on the computer. The thing is that windows doesn't say 'new hardware recognized' like it should. I tried the 'install new hardware' thing under systemtools als to no avail.
I know the particular one i'm trying to install is supported by Win XP and the cables and everything are connected properly but for some reason the burner isn't being recognized.

Is there something im missing? Something i have to change manually in my bios or something?

Any help would be greatly apprecieated!!

Old 12-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #2 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Come on guys, i didn't think this was that hard of a question.
One of you here must know whats going on...

Old 12-12-2004, 08:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

Well any CD-ROM, CD-Burner, DVD-ROM, or even a CD-burner/DVD-Burner combo I've ever had to put in doesn't need any drivers...so windows isn't going to say NEW HARDWARE DETECTED because that's mainly for things like graphics cards, PCI cards and whatnot that need drivers to run.

Every CD-ROM I've ever dealt with is plug-n-play and all you have to do is install burning software.

Have you tried just putting the jumpers to Cable Select? That's generally worked for me.

Have you made sure that it's atleast being shown up on the IDE Channel in the BIOS?
Old 12-12-2004, 08:36 PM   #4 (permalink)
Chillin Techie

check in device manager to see if it is installed. nubius is right about XP
Old 12-13-2004, 10:27 AM   #5 (permalink)
Junior Techie

Should i set both drives to cable select,leave my first one set as master, or what?

And regardless if XP says 'new hardware detected' it isn't showing up in device manager...

Thanks for the replies by the way