Solid State Member
Hello and thanks for your help!

Specs:

AMD 64 3200+
Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro
1 Gig OCZ 3500 Duel Channel
BFG Ge-Force 6800 GT

To make a long story short:

I turned off my computer last night properly and everything was working.

When I turned it on today, it would post and the first screen would show up (one that says press del for setup) and it would freeze there. Ok I restarted it, and it would get to the transition screen between BIOS and the windows screen and freeze.

Restarted, it got to the first screen and froze. I took out my RAM and started the process of elimination. It seems when ever I would put in a 2nd stick of RAM, it would do the freeze thing. I put on 1 and updated my bios to the F10 version. I stuck in the 2nd stick and it would give me the long steady beep during POST (Which in Award means memory error). If I took out the other stick and only had one in, it would post fine, I even switched it and it worked, which means both RAM sticks are fine it seems.

I cleared CMOS via jumper and that didn't do anything.

Seems no matter the combination, order, or slot, when ever I add that 2nd RAM stick I get the steady beep.

Does anyone have any recomendation what I can do to make it work with two sticks of RAM? Maybe its a bios function since by RAM is duel channel? If not, do you think it is my RAM or my Mobo that is damaged?

Thanks! =)

Is the ram you trying to put in the same size/brand/speed as the ram you already have in there?

More than likely its the ram.. did you try using each stick of ram individually to see if they both work?

I would go ahead and download memtest86+ and test you memory. If your memory checks out fine its probably the motherboard bios. Im not sure if your motherboard has options in the bios that allow you to change voltage but thats another thing to check if it does.

My motherboard has duel bios and I have tried both bios's and they both produce the same result.

Ill try memtest.

Do you recomend putting the voltage higher or lower? And this is not the voltage to the cpu right?

set your bios to the fail safe defaults and see if that works.

I had an msi board that somehow could not set the ram timing right and I had the same problem as you. getting an updated version of that board fixed the problem. when I did the above it would act halfway right.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom