static problem with pics and video. HELP

Status
Not open for further replies.

coldcrow

Baseband Member
I have a big problem with static. Seems like everytime i walk to my room to go to my pc and touch the cover of my pc case it restarts and sometimes shuts down. I know that this is not at all any good. I have tried so many different things. I tried grounding the case to the round grounded part of the psu with a wire and this worked but people told me this was unsafe so i unhooked that. I then tried different plugs and cords. I also REBUILT the whole pc and still was having this problem. I tried to send the case back and they said its been to long to send me a RMA. I'm out of ideas i have no idea what i should do. I'm affraid this is going to fry my hardware. I think something already happened to my soundcard. Does anyone have any ideas? PLZ NEED MUCH HELP

case
http://www.xoxide.com/v-tech-x-focus-7105h-black.html

video
http://www.filebunker.net/a/displayimage.php?pos=-4782
note you may need to use IE to view video. FIREFOX might not work

That's REALLY screwed up.

Say, do you know the condition of your electrical wires, grounding your case doesnt matter if your house doesnt have a proper ground, temporarily run a wire to a metal pipe and see if it keeps happening.

Did anyone tell you why it was unsafe to ground the case to the PSU. This is how cases usually are grounded. The metal case is normally touching the metal of the PSU, and this in turn is grounded through the mains. If the case isn't touching the PSU properly then simple attaching a wire will work, and shouldn't be unsafe.

well someone was saying that the static with the wire was just building up, like charging the pc, or storing the electricity. The only way i got it working was attacting a wire to the grounded part of the wire of the psu. I wrapped the wire arond it and then taped it to the front of the pc where i touched it in the video. This worked but people were saying its charging the pc up and could be bad. I also tried taping the wire on the psu and taping it to the front but that didn't work. Maybe its my PSU? Do you need a specialy PSU when you have a metal case?

o and sry i didn't give you my system specs before here they are:
ASUS K8V SE DELUXE
CORSAIR 1GB ram
THERMALTAKE Silent Purepower W0014RU 480W Power Supply
AMD Athlon 64 3400+ 800MHz
CELESTICA ATI 9600XT
SEAGATE 80GB
WESTERN DIGITAL 80GB
WINDOWS XP SP2

Say, I have that same PSU. I always wondered whether the black paint (which looks really good, if you have the balck one) interfered with the grounding of said case. Might this be the case?

It could indeed be the paint if it is acting as an insulator. It may be wise to scratch some off, and attach the metal of the case to that point via a wire.

no that didn't work, i can tell that that paint is not that thick to even do anything its not even like paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom