Static electricity?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just ground yourself to the PSU (plugged in) I tried those straps years ago working on pbx's and they were too damn restrictive.

So a certin motherboard manufacturer that will go nameless enjoys testing dual proc boards with only 1 proc and 1 stick of ram.. Then they send them back.. Usually with a note attatched that says "the board is good".. But in all reality they never test the boards good enough to say one way or another. So.. i invented a solution for the problem... Take a molex extender and cut the 12v +/- leads.. Plug it into a live PS and then rub the wires all over the motherboard. As you can imagine it sends sparks all over like its christmas. If that werent bad enough, i'd then take a cpu and ram to make sure that the board didnt post.. I'd say roughly 40-50% of the time the board would still post. I figure if a board can withstand having north bridges and other various components zapped with 12v then a static shock shouldn't do much.

i've had to do this quite a few times =p

senseless said:
So a certin motherboard manufacturer that will go nameless enjoys testing dual proc boards with only 1 proc and 1 stick of ram.. Then they send them back.. Usually with a note attatched that says "the board is good".. But in all reality they never test the boards good enough to say one way or another. So.. i invented a solution for the problem... Take a molex extender and cut the 12v +/- leads.. Plug it into a live PS and then rub the wires all over the motherboard. As you can imagine it sends sparks all over like its christmas. If that werent bad enough, i'd then take a cpu and ram to make sure that the board didnt post.. I'd say roughly 40-50% of the time the board would still post. I figure if a board can withstand having north bridges and other various components zapped with 12v then a static shock shouldn't do much.

i've had to do this quite a few times =p
We're gonna hear about you on the news one day, aren't we?

For what?

I'm sick of having to pay 20$ to send motherboards to get rma'd.. They dont get fixed and come back and have to be sent out repair for a second or third time.

DARWIN AWARD #1,388,734,413 - Electrifying Experience

While attempting to prove the continued functionality of various motherboards, this person hotwired his PSU to create a diabolical taser for PC hardware mutilation. The results, shocked him senseless!

ShoobieRat said:

While attempting to prove the continued functionality of various motherboards, this person hotwired his PSU to create a diabolical taser for PC hardware mutilation. The results, shocked him senseless!

with 12volts DC? get a grip

darwin award huh, gotta love the reverse logic for that, whoever thought up the "darwin award" idea was clearly a candidate

ShoobieRat said:

Yeah because I will do it with 240.

I also shock battery's with 110 \ 120 volts to remove the memory :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom