stability issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
my brothers computer is quite old now but i cant get it stable.
specs are:

amd thunderbird 1.2gig
256 sdram pc133
ECS K7S5A motherboard
Sparkle GeForce3 Ti200
generic case, power supply, and cd drive

i know they arent the best but he went he plays city of heros or call of duty, it crashes. now they are the only games he plays so no need to worry about doom3 or HL2. to fix it ive updated the graphics card and the agp (was on ecs website) drivers but this hasnt worked. Its not a temperature problem cos the cpu temp doesnt go above 54 ( i know its high on on stock cooling thats about right).

Im plain out of ideas now. only thing i can think of is a bios flash but even then i dont know if it will help.

Any suggestions are very very welcome.

oh, also hes very laggy in them games so should wat should i get him to cheaply upgrade? would a stick of 512ddr 400 make a big difference? (the board can have both sd or ddr) even if it was cheapy stuff,

thanks alot

Well, u didnt mention what is the operating system 4 your bro's PC. So, i assumed he is using window xp. For window xp, is better to run on a system that having more than 256MB ram. On the other hand, for system crashed, it might be the window problem, ram not sufficient, or maybe your graphic card cant support such games. Try check also what version of directx on your bro's system. For what i know, call of duty need to run on directx 9B. U can try update the directx files.

For upgrading, u can get another stick of 256MB/512MB PC133 sdram. Although the mobo can support both sdram and ddrsdram, but only 1 type can be run only. Thats mean either your want to run sdram or ddrsdram. U cant mix both sdram and ddrsdram.

For gaming, although your processor is quite old, but it still can be run. Graphic card and ram plays important role for gaming. For better gaming, u can get some mid-range graphic card.

For Doom3, is really a high requirement games that need high-end graphic card such as Radeon9800 or GeForce5900 only can play smoothly. I've tried play Doom3 using my GeForce4MX440 graphic card, but it quite lag. For HL2, i manage to play.

yea it is xp. hes got dx 9.0c. i know the graphics card can handle them games cos it used to be in my comp, but they were all at low graphical detail and that is wat it is set at at the moment.

yea i know it can only have sd or ddr at once thats why i was thinkin he should just get a 512stick of ddr, thing is my mams got my 2600 and thats already got 512ddr400 so if he was to get one of em he could put it in that comp when he gets it in afew months. thanks for help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom