SSDs not really more reliable than mechanical drives

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ yea that's certainly an important issue to consider. However, that capped amount on most drives is in the hundreds of thousands (for Intel drives, 100GB per day for five years.) I think in a beta testing environment an SSD would be a huge benefit. I can install an OS in under 15 minutes (from DVD boot to installing programs.) Plus, just the speed at which it's up and running after a reboot is a big advantage. I think what makes it a bigger concern is just the price/GB of the drives.

If HP is successful in developing viable permanent memory from memristors, that could give SSD's a significant step forward.
They currently use NAND flash memory, which is made from transistors - several transistors per bit.

Being able to use a single memristor in place of several transistors would use a lot less volume per bit, and the reduced complexity would hopefully increase reliability.

It isn't really the complexity, it's more or less, we have multiple parts to do one thing, and one almost always breaks yet the others are good, replacing those multiples with a single, would be good in the fact that theres a lesser chance of it failing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom