Speakers - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 07-18-2010, 01:14 AM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
Default Speakers

I am looking for a set of speakers to replace my 6 year old 5.1 Logitech set. My old set was absolutely great, good sound, great bass. So I jumped onto Newegg hoping to find decent to replace them with, only to find that they sell only 3, 5.1 Sets, and no 6.1 or 7.1 sets. The most expensive of which is made by Logitech which is the same set they have been selling for at least 6 years, at the same price, with the exception of a few cosmetic changes. I know because its the set I originally wanted to get years ago, but couldn't afford. The other two are a low end Logitech and Creative sets. The same goes for TigerDirect and similar sites.

So my question is what do people use these days? Are the days of PC only speakers sets dead? I know a lot of people use high end gaming headphones but surely there are people out there that prefer speakers. I remember a while back there were plenty of 5.1, 6.1, and even the more expensive 7.1 sets to choose from. I guess I figured that since most motherboards these days come standard w/7.1 sound, that there would be speaker sets to accompany them.

ASUS P8Z68 Deluxe
Intel Core i7 2600k
16GB DDR3 G-Skill Ripjaws
1TB 7200 Segagte Drive
eVGA GeForce 570
Samsung Blu-Ray Drive
Antec 850 Watt PSU
Windows 7 Professional
Old 07-18-2010, 02:37 AM   #2 (permalink)
Hyper Techie
Default Re: Speakers

TBH pc speakers don't really get much better than logitech 5.1 sets. If you get a 7.1 your not going to see that much of an increase for your buck. If I were you I would look into a home theater system like a bose kit or a studio monitor set with receiver like something made by m-audio.

A home theater might be more suited for you cuz they usually have smaller speakers and a more controllable sound. BUT they can include large receivers and be expensive.

While yes they're alot more expensive a monitor pair from m-audio will blow any home system out of the water because they're capable of doing concert level Db with perfect pitch.
BUT They're big bulky expensive and unnecessary unless your someone like me who does home music recordings and needs to hear every little detail.

Studio Monitors including Powered Monitors from GuitarCenter.com
Home Theater Systems, Home Theater Stereo Systems, Home Entertainment Sound Systems at TigerDirect.com

EDIT: Heres a very nice system with not to bad of a tag but it really depends on what your looking to spend.

- AMD FX8320 @ 4.2Ghz - ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer - G.Skill Ripjaws X 8gb -
- Asus Strix GTX 970 - Corsair Neutron GTX - Corsair TX 750 -
- Cooler Master HAF XB - Corsair H105 -
- Asus VG248QE - Corsair M60 & K90 -
Old 07-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description
Send a message via MSN to MindoverMaster
Default Re: Speakers

My old 5.1, Logitech x530, took up too much room on my desk.

Then I got 2.1 Logitech Z4. It sounded about as well as the previous, but less of a space hog.

I'm not a hard*** music guy, though. So do whatever you want.
Neowin.net Steam Account
Closed Thread