space saving idea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alfred11

Solid State Member
I am going to be living in a dorm room next year and wonder what i need to do to run my computer threw a tv my graphics card has a tv out but what kind of cable do i need to get

My graphics card is a 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700 TX w/TV-Out so what do i need to run it threw a TV

Re:

Hello,

You need an S-VIDEO cable most likely, if not then a composite cable. Your Radeon 9700 graphics card should have a composite or s-video interface...

svidcombo.jpg

S-VIDEO cable.

An S-VIDEO cable has identical male ends. One end plugs into your graphics card, and the other goes to either your television or VCR. If your TV or VCR does not have an S-VIDEO in socket, you'll need to get a Scart to S-VIDEO converter...

scartadapter8hj.jpg

Scart Adapter- RCA (L/R Audio Phono, S-VIDEO and Composite Video Phono Inputs) (Most scart adaptors nowadays have a variable input/output switch).

The scart adaptor plugs into any available scart socket on either your TV or VCR. If you choose to use S-VIDEO, the other male end of the cable would plug into the S-VIDEO socket on the scart adaptor.

If you prefer to or can only use Composite...

composite15jd.jpg
composite29wm.gif

Composite Video Cable

The Composite cable has two identical male ends. One plugs into the Composite socket on the graphics card, and the other end either goes to an available composite in port on your TV or VCR, or if not, then to the scart adaptor's Composite connector.

Alfred11 said:
My graphics card is a 128 DDR ATI Radeon 9700 TX w/TV-Out so what do i need to run it threw a TV

Hardware:

= A TV with AV interface or S-Video or Direct Composite input (most new TVs)
= S-Video or Composite or S-Video/Composite cable
= Graphic card with Composite or S-Video or S-Video/Composite output

If you are about to use AV interface a small AV/Scart input adapter would be required. Note that you must buy INPUT adapter since pin-out of input and output is not the same. You can also buy a versatile adapter with the input/output switch. In addition, if you have a VCR that connects to TV through AV interface (maybe using the only available AV interface on your TC) and has a direct composite Input (usually on front mask) you can connect your cable to it or to AV Input interface at the back of VCR (if it has one, most do + it would then still require of you to buy an AV adapter). Using AV/Composite is highly recommended over the the RF cable. However, if you are using somewhat older TV that doesn't have the AV input/output interface you can get by with the RF as well (sacrificing picture quality/clarity).

= Perform Hardware related jobs and connect all the cables
= Turn on your TV (and/or VCR) and switch to AV

Software:

= Download most recent Graphic Card drivers from your manufacturer's web site (http://www.ati.com/ in this case)
= Access display properties through your desktop (Right Click > Properties) or though your Computer's Control Panel
= Go to Settings Tab and click Advanced button on the bottom
= make the settings required (*)

* - this is as far as we can go since we are using nVidia Graphic Card

Addition (Reread the post):

Do not expect a Monitor quality picture on your TV. That is impossible. Also, max. resolution you can get
with your TV is either 800*600 or 1024*768.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom