Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus Problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kmerkle

Beta member
I bought a Soyo KT600 Dragon Plus with Phoenix D686 BIOS to replace a suspected blown motherboard.

I have an AMD Duron 900Mhz processor. The dipswitches for the multiplier are all off, which may or may not be relevant because I haven't done anything to the processor, so I assume that it is not unlocked. (I'm a software guy, not a hardware guy). Can someone tell me for sure?

I have two memory sticks: Kingston ValueRAM 256 and Centon 512 MB

The FSB jumpers are set for 200 MHz - Is that right?

I removed all devices from the board: hard drive, CD ROM, floppy, RAM. I left the video card ( new Mad Dog Predator MX 4000)installed and put the board on a piece of cardboard with

There are 2 big problems (so far):

1. As soon as I plugthe power cord into the power supply, the Anti-Burn Regulator Alarm goes off. I have removed the jumper to disable it but it didn't make a difference still goes off.

2. When I power up, the ABR alarm stops, the fans all come on but there is no post. There are no beeps from the speaker and nothing is displayed on the monitor.

I have cleared the CMOS a number of times without success.

I'm assuming that my processor is fried. Maybe I zapped it during the installation process or it got fried when the other motherboard fried.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

going by my own experiences it sounds like your cpu is dead.

Did you put enough heat sink paste on the face of the cpu?

if it was too little your chip will have burnt out. Amd cpus run hot need good cooling.

your fsb is set wrong. it needs to be set at 100 for ddr( 100X2=200mhz fsb). try that and see what happens.

Thanks.

I had paste on the chip. It didn't even have time to heat up, unless it can fry in a matter of seconds during start up.

I had tried setting the FSB at 100 and it didn't help. I'm assuming that the CPU got fried when the old motherboard died, so I ordered a 1.4 GHz Duron. I hope that does the trick, else I'm throwing good money after bad...

yes older amd can fry in the seconds it takes to start up without a heatsink. So it is very possible it is fried. good luck with new processor.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom