Sound Card issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Focker

Beta member
I blew my klipsch computer speakers and my only other speaker option at the moment is using my onkyo reciever/speaker system. I'm using a soundblaster audigy 2 nx and the optical output and it will not separate the channels for anything but actual 5.1 dd such as dvds with powerdvd and I'm really hating not having surround sound for my games.

I'm going to build a new pc in about a month, and I would love some suggestions on what kind of soundcard or motherboard with on-board audio with an optical output that would actually separate the channels, if there is such a thing? I've read something about nForce motherboards being able to do this, but they only support AMD I think? Are the AMDs as fast as the pentium 3.4's?

for gaming most ppl consider AMDs better then intels and an AMD 3400+ is equivalent to an intel 3.4 in most things, amds are a little slower at photo editing and number crunching type things but usually faster at games, my asus VIA mobo has optical out and it has 8 channel sound, im assuming unless its just the optical cant sperate it mine would do it too, although im using a soundblaster 2 zs for sound so i havent even used my mobo sound :p

Thanks for the reply, got nothing on the sound forum ;) Would like to hear more about it if anyone knows about the spdif/optical output and getting surround sound.

I haven't built/bought a computer in quite a few years and the AMD's are throwing me off. Intels have the higher processor speeds like 3.4+ ghz and 800mhz FSB, while the AMDs have like 2ghz but the processor is called a 3500+ and only have like a 500mhz FSB so it's all kinda confusing to say the least.

erm to my knowledge amds have higher fsb :umm: at least the 64s do, but ya i see wat ya mean, it could get kind of confusing

Like in your sig you have: "AMD Athlon 64 3500+ @ 2.2ghz "

What exactly does that mean? I take it the 3500+ is just a number for the processor and has no bearing on the speed of it?

no, the number is what amd lables their processors with so you can compare them to intel's, i only put in the 2.2ghz so ppl know it's not over clocked yet, but it, at 2.2 ghz does the equivalent processing of an intel 3.5ghz, basically to find an amd equivalent intel, just put a decimal in spaces from the right (plus it kicks intel ass at games.)

Still need some advice about soundcards and optical/spdif outputs if anyone can give any.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom