sound card install

Status
Not open for further replies.

adamhic

Baseband Member
Hi all,

I have a question about a sound card install that has me stumped. I got a ensoniq sound blaster out of an old computer and an tring to put into my dads computer so he can have some sound (for some reason onboard isn't working either). He has win 98 and I dont have the discs that came with it. I downloaded the driver off of the creative web site but still can't get it to work. So if I'm forgetting to do something or doing something wrong please help.

Sounds like a hardware problem. The sound card is probably dead. Your maonboard may also be dead.

However, you may have to deactivate the on-board sound before installing a third party card. This can be done either in the bios or using jumper switches, depending on your board.

Are you testing the sound with a CD-ROM? Have you plugged in the audio cable?

The mobo is ok and I beleive the sound card is also ok I have the cable for the cd rom hooked up. If I don't have the origanal disc but downloaded the driver is there anything else I need to make it work like wavesets? Not sure how to install them but the site says I can download them.

hooloovoo said:
Your maonboard may also be dead.

hooloovoo, I assure you that if his motherboard was dead, his father's PC wouldn't even boot up let alone play any sounds. I seriously doubt that's the casee, since Adamhic did not mention any problems w/ the boot up.

Adamhic, the only thing that comes to mind is making sure there's no virus and secondly making sure that he has the correct chipset drivers installed for his motherboard.

Since he's running Win98 he could try sfc but since he doesn't have the Win98 CD tha'ts not an option.

Thanx for the help everyone, ended up scraping the old card and am just going to get him a different one(the old one is crappy and old anyway) but thankx again.

As far as i can remember the drivers from Creatives website aren't the actual drivers, Just updates. I had this problem before with my SoundBlaster Live. Could only be fixed by finding the cd and re-installing the original drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom