Sound Card / Drivers??

Status
Not open for further replies.

flavours

Beta member
Hello. I have a problem with my speakers (they dont work!) since i have formatted and rebuilt my PC. I am assuming it must be the soundcard or drivers or anything else cos they havent worked since i rebuilt my pc. I am running Win98se.

When i boot up it seems to pick up the sound card but i cannot seem to find the sound card drivers.......anywhere!!

after running an everest report i believe the sound card is "Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - AC'97 Audio Adapter" (does that sound like a sound card?)

anyway, have done numerous searches on the net for the drivers but keep coming to a dead end. have actually thought i found them a few times and installed them but no luck. any help would be great,

thanks.

If you motherboard has On-board audio, then you need to disable it in the BIOS. Refer to your MOBO manual for instructions on how to do so.
Once you have sucessfully disable on-board audio, you can install the new soundcard in an available PCI slot, reboot the PC and the OS will automatically recognize it and prompt you to install drivers. After this is complete, a restart will put you on your way to enjoying your new soundcard.

Good Luck!

so after u disable the drivers form ur previuos whatever card u had go to hardware manager and find the sound device with a question mark beside it and then update drivers. goodluck

I havent had a new soundcard. its the same card as i've always had. i'm assuming its a simple on-board card cos i havent installed a new one and dont plug the cable into a new slot.
In controlpanel - system - device manager it is coming under the 'other devices' with PCI audio device and a explanation mark over the question mark. when i delete this and reboot it picks up the audio device but i am unable to track down the required drivers for the device. again, any help with this would be great.

flavours said:

after running an everest report i believe the sound card is "Intel 82801AA I/O Controller Hub - AC'97 Audio Adapter" (does that sound like a sound card?)

that sound to me like onboard audio. have a look inside your pc and see if you have a soundcard.

it may also be that you do have a soundcard, and that in your sound properties the onboard is set to the default sound. the speakers do not work as they are plugged into the sc, and the sound is coming out of the onboard. try playing music, and then changing the speakers to the onboard, and see if you can hear the music.

if this is the case, you will need to follow HAVOC2k5 and timmer's instruction to disable ur onboard, and then set your sc to be the default playback and recording device.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom