sound card disappeared.

Status
Not open for further replies.

dlittlebear

Baseband Member
Dont know when it happened, just noticed today it was gone. I dont use sound alot as it is, save for watching dvds and other stuff, think it happened some time this morning.

Anyway, I have tried and tried and tried to reinstall it with no success so came here hoping I might find some help.

Mainboard: Abit NF7-M (onboard audio)
chipset:NF2

I have made sure I have the service running for the audio as per
http://www.msfn.org/win2k3/sound.htm and it is still running.

I have tried to get the NF drivers down and reinstall them, still nothing. tried ac97 drivers, again nothing, after each install I reboot and check and under control panel, sounds and audio devices it says no playback device.

well, damn this prob came back. around 9am this morning went to play a media file and noticed the sound card was again, gone. reset the computer, redid everything like yesterday and still gone.

humm.... found that if I unplug the PC while it is still running I get my sound back when it comes back up after the checks. I know this is not the best way to get the sound back just found out by accident.

check DM in safe mode and see if there are multiple drivers also look for unknown devices. it may be a corrupt driver. look for all associated driver files with it and delete them manually (after uninstalling in safe mode if available). I'm assuming its not the speakers and that you are saying that it is GONE in DM. So delete those files (make sure you find the correct ones and download them) and also any registry entries for it. MAKE SURE TO BE CAREFUL IN THE REGISTRY!!! One wrong move could result in some serious problems. Best to backup your registry first. Make sure you know what to look for. I dont know, myself, as I dont have that chipset. After its all gone reinstall the drivers. You may want to look for a driver clean up utility for that sound card if available so you dont have to manualy remove it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom