Sony Vaio Driver help for those who have done a clean install of XP

Status
Not open for further replies.

christiannefinl

Beta member
Well, after eight or so hours on the phone with Sony and no help from them at all, I finally figured out how to install single drivers onto a Sony VAIO notebook (specifially the PCGFRV31).

1st, make sure you have either your created vaio recovery cd set that you should have made when you first booted up the computer, or if you're like me and said, "I don't need that" - just spend the ten bucks and get the recovery dvd kit from sony.

Now, it won't work unless you do this - go to the sony download site for your notebook and download the Sony Shared Libary. Then, put your DVD or CD kit in and viola - you can re-install specific software and drivers.

I found this out after having to replace the hard drive and not wanting to format it the way that the Sony Recovery DVD wants you to (with ghost partitions and stuff). I wanted to do it my own way... so I did... and here's how you can to. This way, you can partition your drive the way you want, install winxp the way you want and only install the programs you want.

I hope that this helps you.

add'l

Maybe I sound like an idiot for posting this in the first place - but after countless hours on the phone with Sony... them telling me there is no way to get drivers or install single programs from their recovery DVD kit... I think this might help some folks out there.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom