Sony DVD Writer problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

John McNeil

Beta member
I have a Sony DRX-530UL(5 months old) and a DRX-710UL (5 wks old). Both these writers have trouble writing DVD+RW media. They only seem to program Verbatim, Sony, Ricoh media. As per Sony Tech Help recommendations I installed the software on C-drive and set up a 10 Gb buffer on C-drive, updated the firmware, updated the Nero Software that came bundled with the DRX-710 and updated the ASPI layer. The writer has trouble both erasing
and programming DVD+RW media, even Verbatim media. Attempted to erase DVD with the DRX710 and the DRX710 would not indicate that it had been erased, then put the media in
the DRX530 and it also claimed that the media was not erased. Erased the media with the DRX530 and then was able to program the media with the DRX530 ok. Then re-erased the media and the DRX710 would not program the media indicating that it was not erased which it plainly was. IT is interesting that Sony Tech Help insisted that the 10 Gb buffer on C-drive was necessary when the manual for the DRX710 only indicated that a one GB buffer
was necessary unless one was running Nero Express which did need a 10GB buffer (Nero Express was not even installed). It is interesting that both the DRX710 and the DRX 530 both came up with problems writing media other than a favored few. Very difficult getting Sony to admit that anything is wrong with the DRX710UL and it may require an act of Congress to get them to do so and do the necessary warrantee repair. Then later in the day the DRX530UL failed completely. IF it wasn't for the good old reliable Plextor CD writer we would be out of business.
Sony tech help was very hard to deal with and even wrote down erroneous information and then wanted to argue about it. When the disk began failing in various ways (not described here for brevity) the tech help got abusive and claimed that we were always changing the story when the actual fact was that the drive was exhibiting these problems and failing in various ways as it declined.

John McNeil said:
I have a Sony DRX-530UL(5 months old) and a DRX-710UL (5 wks old). Both these writers have trouble writing DVD+RW media. They only seem to program Verbatim, Sony, Ricoh media. As per Sony Tech Help recommendations I installed the software on C-drive and set up a 10 Gb buffer on C-drive, updated the firmware, updated the Nero Software that came bundled with the DRX-710 and updated the ASPI layer. The writer has trouble both erasing
and programming DVD+RW media, even Verbatim media. Attempted to erase DVD with the DRX710 and the DRX710 would not indicate that it had been erased, then put the media in
the DRX530 and it also claimed that the media was not erased. Erased the media with the DRX530 and then was able to program the media with the DRX530 ok. Then re-erased the media and the DRX710 would not program the media indicating that it was not erased which it plainly was. IT is interesting that Sony Tech Help insisted that the 10 Gb buffer on C-drive was necessary when the manual for the DRX710 only indicated that a one GB buffer
was necessary unless one was running Nero Express which did need a 10GB buffer (Nero Express was not even installed). It is interesting that both the DRX710 and the DRX 530 both came up with problems writing media other than a favored few. Very difficult getting Sony to admit that anything is wrong with the DRX710UL and it may require an act of Congress to get them to do so and do the necessary warrantee repair. Then later in the day the DRX530UL failed completely. IF it wasn't for the good old reliable Plextor CD writer we would be out of business.
Sony tech help was very hard to deal with and even wrote down erroneous information and then wanted to argue about it. When the disk began failing in various ways (not described here for brevity) the tech help got abusive and claimed that we were always changing the story when the actual fact was that the drive was exhibiting these problems and failing in various ways as it declined.

Don't buy sony. I bought the first dvd+ burner (2001) to come out the sony DRU-120a ($700.00) after a few day of not being able to burn a commercial dvd, I call tech support for help. I promptly get cussed out. after a few more calls back, they finally explain to me to me that copying dvd was illegal (my response was why the f*ck would you sell a $700 dvd burner if you couldn't burn a dvd). I figured it out on my own (flask mpeg to rip, instant cd/dvd 5 to shrink and burn) .

I express this concern on the www.vcdhelp.com forum. a lot of people responded with their own bad experiences with sony tech support.

that said instead of using the erase feature, just burn your new data over the existing data. it will overwrite the old data

I have only used DVD+RW media. Had a DRX-510UL and that worked great, but I gave it away. The 530 and the 710 won't allow me to program the dvd unless it's erased. Tomorrow I'm going to call Sony for another frustration session. I wasn't copying anything, I was just trying to update my backup disks. Would these Sonys perform better as boat anchors??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom