sony

Status
Not open for further replies.

z3r0gr4v1ty

Baseband Member
for christmas my dad got my mom a sony handycam video hi8 steady shot they came in 2 models the digital model and the one that uses the tapes and unfortunatly he got the one that takes the tapes i'm wondering if there is anyway to get the video onto the computer without the purchase of something really expensive?

http://www.overstock.com/cgi-bin/d2.cgi?cid=48418&PAGE=PRODUCT&PROD_ID=998012&fp=F#
there is the link to it

i've noticed that it has a svideo out so maybe there is a usb adapter for svideo to usb? or something similar? also would like to have sound with the video

Svideo only does video, if you want sound then you can just link the sound output to your computer line in if the camcorder has standard sound output. Also you might find the video camera has a firewire port on it, which is very handy if you have firewire on your computer.

yea unfortunatly it doesn't have a firewire port, i really hope i can do this cheaply without getting a vid capture card b/c that would basically be a waste of money except for transfering vhs to dvd format but how often would i do that but this is really important that i find a way to do this b/c i'm in a car club and i'm shooting footage for a dvd/promo that we may be putting out but it won't come out if i can't get the video on the comp lol

aside from returning it and getting the digital version..

you could use this...

Dazzle

read it over and make sure your camera's got the connections.

but this is the more affordable version.

it's a very popular product.

you need an ati all-in-wonder, or some sort of firewire/usb breakoutbox.. Checkout the ADVC100 from canopus

Sony uses an iLink cable to connect to the PC, its pretty much their market on a IEEE 1394 cable.

and as far as really super easy way to get it on your PC and tinker with it, I would recommend Pinnacle Studio 9

Depending on how you acquire the software ;) -- you'll be paying about $30 for the cable (at BestBuy)

Oh yeah secondly find out what kind of tapes it uses, some of the cameras are a Digital Hi8 which have 520 lines of resolution (same as DVD quality) -- then theres regular Hi8 that has 240 Lines of resolution (VCR Quality) -- Some of the older models that are just Hi8 don't have the ability to transfer to PC.

ADD: Ahhhh ha, the TRV128 yeah this isn't Digital. Still can transfer but the quality isnt the same as MiniDV or MicroMV tapes that are 520 Lines of resolution.

ps. I work at BestBuy in Digital Cameras :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom