Something about media center extenders. - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 11-12-2008, 10:44 PM   #1 (permalink)
Newb Techie

Default Something about media center extenders.

i have fios tv and internet and it requires me to use their router. I want to buy a tv tuner card and media center extender for computer. If i connect the coax to teh tv card then that will get rid of a lot of my fios channels that are encrypted. I want the tv tuner to get live tv and record it like ti-vo. Is it still possible to have the tv tuner card do that without connecting the coax wire into it so i can record my local stations while still getting my fios tv?

I know this might be confusing. If you need clarification ask me for it.

Old 11-13-2008, 12:11 AM   #2 (permalink)

Triforcer

Default Re: Something about media center extenders.

You need the TV Tuner card to connect to the video source though. It sounds like you're going to buy a card and put it in your PC and that's all. What are you going to use to connect it to the source?

Old 11-13-2008, 12:53 AM   #3 (permalink)
Newb Techie

thats kinda what my question is. Is there a way to get a tv card to work in recording live tv and stuff without having to use my fios coax cable becuase that will not allow me to have the rest of my fios channels. Is there another connection i can make from teh tv to the tuner card allowing me to have both fios and local channels recordable from the tv tuner?
Old 11-13-2008, 02:58 AM   #4 (permalink)

Triforcer

Yes Verizon has already decided on a solution for it called CableCARD. If the TV Tuner card you buy has CableCARD compliance then you can watch the normal channels including the encrypted FiOS channels.

The Verizon page explaining it is here: Verizon | FiOS TV - Computer

Closed Thread