Some Video card Questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

DmonH4x

Solid State Member
I might get my new video card today or tommrow I have a few questions.

1. If I am using Windows Xp can I just go to device manager and disable my current video card from there.

2. If/When I install the video card correctly do I have to attach the moniter to the card?

3. What is plug and play

1. I wouldn't just disable that card unless you intend to keep it in your computer or it is onboard(part of the Motherboard) I would uninstall it instead.

2. Yes

3. True plug and play is when you plug something in you should be able to let windows install it for you and then it should work. WinXP is the first that i believe did that. If all goes as planned you shouldn't have to install drivers for the card. But you prolly will have to update them to get the best resolutions

DmonH4x,

Some manufacturers are very specific in how you uninstall the card and the drivers (like ATI RagePro) so I would first check the manufacturers' website to make sure there no special steps you need to take. Otherwise, if you dont' see anything, you can follow the steps below.

The easiest way is to uninstall the current graphics card through either 1) the Device Manager or 2) Add/Remove Hardware (found in the control panel). Do not use the "Disable/Enable" feature in the device manager as you are actually replacing the old card with a new one.

Plug & Play simply refers to a feature of Windows (and no it was not first introduced with WinXP) where it will recognize what type of device you are trying to install and either install the driver on its own (if it's included in the driver database) or prompt you for the driver.

The term plug n play was initially designed for devices that did not require a rebooting after installation and where users could immediately begin using it w/out much fuss. As the term began to grow in popularity and tossed around like bubble gum, many techies (including vendors) began using it on just about everything including components requiring a reboot upon installation.

Now I may be wrong about that but i'm sure a Mod will correct me if I am wrong.

I think you hit it on the head. Hot swap is also for components that could be changed/installed on the fly. With plug and play, there devices have a physical unique identifier (a chip) that contains the info needed to be recognized and correctly installed. Plug n'play has been around long before XP. As far as onboard vid, most MBD should recognize when you have a new vid card in and disable it themselves, so you dont want to disable it, but as wolf said you may want to unistall the associated files with it. Guess you could do it the old fashioned way (I still do it this way, because it makes installation easier as far as no problems trying to install new drivers). Thats by going into display properties, settings, advanced, adapter and change the adapter that is currently listed. You will want to change it to 'standard PCI graphics adapter VGA' and YES I'm sure your thinking "but I have AGP..." it doesn't matter. when you change it, shutdown and install the card and boot up and install the drivers.

killians45 said:
Plug n'play has been around long before XP.

I understand that. I'm just saying that you usually would still have to tell windows to search for the device. XP is the first all auto plug and play

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom