Some random questions on pci-e motherboards, cards, and cpu

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
I've been wanting to build a new computer for a long time now and I had a bunch of questions. I was wanting to get a amd 64 and a nvidia 6600(non gt) I'm trying to keep at a $700 budget. Problem is the 6600 doesn't come in agp form and the only pci-e amd 64 motherboard I've found cost $250. So my random questions in no particular order are

Is there any cheaper amd 64 motherboards with pci-e or will there be anytime soon?
Will there be any 6600 agp cards soon?
Should I just get a intel setup?
Which processor is better for overclocking?
Is ddr2 much faster than ddr?
Any other suggestions?

What does OEM mean? I thought it just meant you didn't get a bunch of stuff in the package but my friend says they aren't good for overclocking. Though I don't see why that would be.

OEM just means it doesnt come with anything besides a little peice of paper.

Also, from what i understandthe normal 6600 is garbage, if you want do do any gaming get a 6600GT. With the price difference between AGP and PCI-E mobo's you can upgrade to a 6600GT

Well you could just do what I did and save yourself a buncha $$. I was going to build an AMD 64 system but the more I researched it, the more I decided to hold off on the 64 bit for awhile. There isnt much support for it at the moment unless you run linux anyway.

So instead I just got an asus av7n8e- deluxe board, with a xp2500+ "mobile" CPU. the beauty of the mobile cpu is that it was designed to run in a laptop and therefore can tolerate much lower voltage core settings. ... so it OC's like a mofo. I havent started pushing it just yet but from the benchmark tests i've seen it ran right up there with the 64 and sometimes better.

plus the board was all of $89 and the cpu was around $80....much cheaper than a 64 setup

Is there any cheaper amd 64 motherboards with pci-e or will there be anytime soon?
How cheap are you looking for? mine cost me about 120 dollors.

There are, just expensive as hell. I wouldn't expect any of the 6000 series agp cards to be in your budget. I read something about how nvidia didn't want to jepordize sales of 5900 series by making a card cost less and perform close to that mark, or something to that effect.

Should I just get a intel setup?
I wouldn't but its your choice

Which processor is better for overclocking?
Honestly don't know, its a non issue for me.

For your budget? I wouldn't recommend ddr2, and not much faster then ddr in dual channel mode.

OEM means different things for different items, an OEM cpu is just a cpu and no HSF. Generally OEM comes without any instructions, just the card or drive, sometimes they even give you a box. Make sure you know the quality of the manufacure, and model before you buy an OEM.

Sui said:
How cheap are you looking for? mine cost me about 120 dollors.

Where did you get yours and what kind is it?

There are, just expensive as hell. I wouldn't expect any of the 6000 series agp cards to be in your budget. I read something about how nvidia didn't want to jepordize sales of 5900 series by making a card cost less and perform close to that mark, or something to that effect.

Where have you seen them because I thought they only made 6600gt agp which is about $100 above budget. But newegg has 6600 pci-e for $120

For your budget? I wouldn't recommend ddr2, and not much faster then ddr in dual channel mode.

When I was looking at them they seemed only a little more pricey but I had heard that they don't perform all that great.

I bought a Gigabyte GA-K8NF, it was around low 130's after tax. Its like the K8NXP only it has some features left out. There is a link below with some reviews. For pricing go to pricewatch.com.

http://www.tomshardware.com/motherboard/20050103/index.html

uhmm 6600gt was actually what I meant, and yeah its expensive.

My budget jumped from 500-600 to I'm hoping under 900. I've yet to total everything up, and I'm kind of afraid to. BTW is this a completly new computer or?

Completly new. I thought I could use some old hardrives I have laying around but I think their ata 100 and all the boards I looked at were ata133 or sata and I don't want to bottle neck.

ata 133 is backward compatable, so you could use them. It should only be a little slower start up, and starting big programs. Plus if you add a sata drive later you can use the others for storage(after reinstalling windows. Building a pci-e/amd64 for under 700 is a posibility.

So far my build is
AMD64 3000+---161
GA-K8NF----------132
Seagate 80gig----72
256mb ddrx2------90
New PSU 420------75
2 case fans--------18
g-force 6600-----120
Wifi stuff----------130
F panel cable--------5
case-------------------0
cdrw-------------------0
fan controler--------20
tech toy I wanted--10

Actual stuff I needed = 668
Actual cost = 833

This isn't 100% correct, and I havn't even gotten all the parts yet, but you get the idea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom