Some cpu quesions

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sevoma

Daemon Poster
Ok. I origionally thought I was going to get a athlon xp-m 2400+ 35w for a cpu on a new system. The price has been steadily going up and just recently the product dissapeared. Now I am wondering what typ to get. It can be intel or amd. I want something upgradable, but costs under $150. I do not want any s462 cpu.

This does not matter, but the pc I own now has these specs:

Athlon XP-m 1400+
ECS mobo
256mb of pc2700
cd burner
cd rom
crap case
crap video (16mb)
I just upgraded the bios and got overclocking functions! Now the 1.2ghz is like 1.4 or something.

the 45w 2400+, 2500+ or 2600+ XP-M will still be able to give you great overclockability. Its just of course easier to cool a stock 35w than 45w, but still it won't be by much so I wouldn't worry about temps or anything like that if that's your concern. The 45w is still a good overlocker. specifically the 2600+ XP-M. You should still be able to get around the same OC's as the 35w 2400+ XP-M like I have.

There's a member here named 4W4K3 that has a 2600+ XP-M and he can hit 2.5 and 2.6GHz on lower voltages than my 35w 2400+ XP-M can.

But 4W a big lier, so it's obsolete =) jk 4W

the xp-m has a lower fsb or what? I forgot what the differences were so I thought I'd post =/

Well, I want to be able to upgrade down the road, so I do not want to take the Athlon XP path.

the xp-m has a lower fsb or what? I forgot what the differences were so I thought I'd post =/
The main factors is the lower wattage and vcore which means it's easier to cool. Also it's barton core so that makes it a real good overclocker because of it's architecture. It also has 512k L2 Cache just like the 3200+ XP. It's FSB is 266 atleast it is for the 2400+ I think the 2600+ may be higher but I can't remember offhand. But with an overclocking board the FSB doesn't matter because you can just set it to 200x9 for a stock speed of 1.8GHz but you got a 400FSB too ;)

Well, I want to be able to upgrade down the road, so I do not want to take the Athlon XP path.
Ok? You can still upgrade with XP, you'd simply upgrade your processor and motherboard down the road which will be a LOT cheaper by the time you need to. AMD64's are overrated and won't be fully useful until around the year 2006 when a 64bit OS is released so there's no big rush to get to that right now.

If you went AMD64 you'd still have to upgrade the motherboard and CPU down the road while parts like RAM, HD's, graphics card and all that can go into any system XP or 64

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom