SOHO network for Broadband

Status
Not open for further replies.

Funky Monk

Beta member
Hi. I'm looking to set up a SOHO network for Broadband for 2 PCs. I am looking to get a Draytek Vigor 2600we ADSL Modem/Router/Firewall. Does anyone have any expereince of using this, either good or bad, or know of any reviews on the web?

Anyone recommend anything else?

Thanks.

Wow, Im not sure what made you choose this one. I have seen it online for $300. That is a steep price. Do you already have a cable or dsl modem. If you do then you do not need this one. Just get a decent router. DLink has many routers from $49 To $99 that should work fine. Please reply back with info of what you have so far. do you have a broadband modem, was it supplied with your internet connection. A router is not going to make a huge amount of difference with just two PC's so dont buy the most expensive.

Thanx for replying. Basically, it was a recommendation to get that one because of the built-in Firewall and it is a modem as well. I run my own business from home, would like to have the option to create secure Virtual Private Networks to the many companies I visit and know that I am not compromising my, or my customers', work in any way. I guess it's worth paying the extra to have peace of mind.

It's not so much the Router as the Firewall that I'm interested in. This one seems to have it all - ADSL modem, firewall, router, etc. What about the Dlink ones? Are they firewalls too?

Basically all routers are firewalls. They do have diff levels and also tons of software that you can use ( IE blackice). But what a router does is have a table of computer IP names and also has one of its own. The router sends all of your requests out using its IP name and not your computer. If you are running XP it also has firewall software built in. and if you are creating VPNs it would not matter if you had a firewall ,as that connection is secure.

Well, that helps. I wasn't even aware what a router is, just that someone recommended this. I guess another attraction is that it is wireless, too.

Do you have any other recommendations?

Draytek Vigor 2600we sounds perfect for you. the built in firewall isn't top of the line obviously, but it will suite you well. a word of caution though, a firewall alone cannot protect you from everything out there on the internet. it would be good to have a virus scanning program like symantec norton anti-virus 2004 scanning your computers once a week to supplement the firewall.

the WLAN it says that it is only 11Mbps so unless you intend to do heavy file tranfering between your computers, it will be sufficient. remember that for wireless networking you need line of site from the access point to each wireless network card and the distance is limited also.

this is a review of this hardware:

http://www.adslguide.org.uk/hardware/reviews/2002/q4/vigor2600we.asp

You do not need line of site for the WLAN. They will go through walls. Some things can interfere with connectivity. Such as Home AC units and some wireless phones. This is not too big a problem, you just may have to keep placing your access point in different places. I have an out side apartment that i have a computer connected wirelessly, but to do that i had to change the position of my wireless access point. basically move it 10ft so that when my AC was running.

oops thats right tech4hire, i must have been thinking about satelite instead for some reason. depending on the frequency you will get interference as he said.

Whatever runs on 2.4 ghz range will interfere, Cordless phones and Don't forget the Beloved Microwave Oven!!;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom