Software Rendering vs. Hardware

Status
Not open for further replies.

eipeks

In Runtime
My wife has this E.R. fetish and actually bought the game. HAving watched her play it, it looks alright but definately not enough sniper guns and C4 for my tastes.

Anyway, she wanted to play it on our Laptop, which really isnt meant for gaming, (9000 64 MB card, Celeron D).

It runs pretty choppy for my liking, but shes patient and doesnt mind the lag.

My question is this....

I put it into software mode thinking it would increase performance, however I did not notioce a significant difference. Why is this? My only video Options are to change the resolution and the Hardware T&L and software modes. That's it!

Running at 800x600 in software mode is only slightly better than running at any resolution in Hardware.

Its actually a pretty demanding game, I was impressed. I think I might just end up putting it on the PC anyway, but I was curious as to why it was so bad in either mode.

Software mode is not going to increase performance, because then it would use the CPU to render instead of the graphics card.

Software mode takes all of the rendering that is normally done on a video card and loads it on the CPU. for best performance, i'd keep it on hardware rendering because with only a Celeron D, your processor would get really bogged down. Textures also look much better on hardware rendering because the texture memory on the video chip/card offloads it from the RAM, and the video card can also render more effects more efficiently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom