Sockets and Sprockets - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 03-02-2004, 03:56 PM   #1 (permalink)
Super Techie

Default Sockets and Sprockets

Besides the obvious difference in the number scheme, what are the technical differences between the different sockets? Socket A mainboards, socket 478 mainboards, etc. Is any particular socket better than another? There's gotta be some difference to them... can anyone tell me what that is?

Old 03-02-2004, 04:13 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

Different sockets are for different CPU’s, so you really need to know what processor you are looking for then chose the appropriate socket type, the two you mention, socket A and socket 478 are for AMD 32 bit, and Intel P4 CPU’s respectively, (though don’t quote me on the P4 bit).

Quote:
Originally Posted by FreeWill
Aquarius 2.... performs as well as urinating in your heatsink
Old 03-03-2004, 12:23 AM   #3 (permalink)
Super Techie

Hmmm. So it basically has to do with the number of PINS on the CPU chip? Interesting. Thanks. I knew there had to be something to it and yeah i knew that the sockets corersponded with certain chips.

Are Socket A's older than Socket 478's and 754's (might be off on that last number). I understand neither is really better than the other... but which are oldest? I'm really only concerned with AMD sockets since i'll be building an AMD based pc soon.

Microbell, how's that Realtex AC97? Any good?

LV_Eagle, how's that Gigabyte mainboard? I've been pondering getting a Gigabyte mainboard myself. Anything you dont like about it?? What's Fedora Linux anyway??
Old 03-03-2004, 12:34 AM   #4 (permalink)
Super Techie

Send a message via AIM to Erik Send a message via Yahoo to Erik

Socket A processors are AMD's, and they will be your Athlon XP processors.

Socket 478 are the new Intel Pentium 4 processor sockets.

Socket 754 is for the new Athlon XP 64 bit

And Socket 940 is for the AMD FX-51 (way too expensive, but 64 bit)
Old 03-03-2004, 12:37 AM   #5 (permalink)
Super Techie

Quote:
Originally posted by Ares
LV_Eagle, how's that Gigabyte mainboard? I've been pondering getting a Gigabyte mainboard myself. Anything you dont like about it?? What's Fedora Linux anyway??
I know that wasn't towards me, but I was pondering this too, and I ended up going with the Abit AN7 and it's been a fantastic board. You can get it off Newegg for around $100 and you won't be unhappy. It has a ton of I/O and dual channel support, FSB 400, 5 PCI, AGP 8X, hell, it's just a great board. Plus, it has onboard 5.1 w/ optical in and out.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:42 AM   #6 (permalink)
Super Techie

Thanks, Bandage Boy. I've heard of Abit before but for somereason i haven't seen many of them around for sale. Maybe i'm just not looking in the right place. I'll check out this "Newegg" you speak of.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:48 AM   #7 (permalink)
Super Techie

www.newegg.com It's a great site, I don't know why you would ever shop in a store when you can find great prices on the internet. And they have quick shipping. If you order on Monday morning you should have it by Thursday for sure, maybe Wednesday.
Old 03-03-2004, 12:56 AM   #8 (permalink)
Super Techie

Here is a link to the motherboard: http://www.newegg.com/app/viewProduc...127-167&depa=0

And here is a picture of the actual motherboard. The website doesn't show the color very well :S

http://www.wrestlingvg.com/uploader/...s/IMG_0523.JPG

Hehe, I got a new camera and I want to take a lot of pictures
Old 03-03-2004, 02:33 PM   #9 (permalink)
Super Techie

Newegg is kewl. I like their shipping rates.

She's pretty (the AN7). Without me having to go back and look it up, what's the highest/best cpu that i could throw at that baby? And the same for the RAM? The mainboard i do end up getting (as my main machine) i plan on maxing out (best cpu and highest allowable ram).
Old 03-03-2004, 07:57 PM   #10 (permalink)
Super Techie

You can have a total of 3GB Ram at PC3200, or 2GB running in Dual Channel. You can throw in any processor with a FSB of 266/333/400 and it takes ram from PC2100-3500 I guess, although the only reason you would want PC3500 is for OCing a 400mhz FSB processor.

Closed Thread