socket choices

Status
Not open for further replies.

rcsavageboy

In Runtime
ok im going to get an amd but im not sure what socket to get. does it go like higher socket, higher performance?

socket A is old now, budget semprons on it.
754 lower end 64bit and high end semprons no dual channel or pci-e
939 top end 64 bit and fxs has dual channel and option for pci-e

most ppl are buying 939 now.

i have a 939 and its high end. it can handle the most powerful AMD processors, so get that one.

get 939, it's actually a better value (you won't need a new mobo the next time you upgrade, saving you more money than going socket 754)

ok now my next question is, whats a good mother board. ive been looking at dfi asus abit ect. but theres so many! i already have 2 hd's, 1 dvd burner and 1 cd rom so i need 4 ide. i also want to hook up two more hd's in raid. ill use this for mostly gaming but im also an internet junkey and always on websites. im looking at getting an evga 6800 gt pci-e. so that i wont have to upgrade later. im looking for one with 4 ddr ram slots but i dont want one that can only accept certain types. like only 1 sided ddr blah blah blah. i want 4 double sided accesable. ill go with a socket 939. i was already looking at the athlon 64 3200+. more specifically this one.

http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=19-103-502&depa=0

ummm i cant remember anything else right now thats really important.

could anyone reccomend some? also if you need me to be more specific please tell me. thanx in advance
:) :p :D

that that chip
a dfi noforce 4 sli board
the evga 6800gt
as much gskill ram as u can afford. if ur gonna overclock go for faster ram like 4000 or 4400.
also look at gettin a nice heatsink such as the zalman 7700cu or thermalright xp120
for hard drives i would get 3 or 4 seagates and put them in raid0 depending on space/money get the 80 or 120gig versions

i dont want to put them all in raid 0. how many hd's can you put into one raid? like maybe ill get 4 more hd's if i can and use 3 for raid 0 and one for raid 1. would that work?

The CPU u picked out is really sweet. increddiably capable, burns a P4 3.6, 3.8 in some games. The DFI Lanparty nforce 4 is a sweet board.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom