Socket A AMD system + two SATA II drives... PCI SATA? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-07-2008, 01:30 PM   #1 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Socket A AMD system + two SATA II drives... PCI SATA?

So, I got a new computer. It's not built yet, but tracking info says it's at my house. I just thought about something... I have my current computer up as a Samba server, considering I use XP/Ubuntu (mainly Ubuntu) and I have the other computers back up their info via mapped network drive to my Ubuntu machine.

Well, I was thinking. In the next three days or so I will have a spare Socket A AMD system (786 RAM, onboard audio, video, 1.1ghz) sitting around. It doesn't have SATA II connectors, but I was thinking... if I find a PCI card that has 2 internal SATA II connections, I COULD just throw the backup drives in that system and run that system 24/7... couldn't I? That way I can boot into XP, game away, and not worry about the others in the house having a problem with the disconnected network drive. Granted, they really don't write to my computer that much, so me being in XP wouldn't be a problem... but if this spare computer could serve a purpose to be existent 24/7 for backup purposes, then I think that'd be a good idea.

Trick is, I need to find a PCI SATA II internal card. And uh... I'm poor.

Any ideas? Or thoughts pertaining to my little idea here?

Old 10-07-2008, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Socket A AMD system + two SATA II drives... PCI SATA?

Newegg.com - pci sata Tons of em' Just go look around, there's plenty of PCI SATA 2 cards out there for cheap.

Old 10-07-2008, 11:48 PM   #3 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Send a message via AIM to Jayce
Default Re: Socket A AMD system + two SATA II drives... PCI SATA?

Yeah I seen the 150's, but I was hoping to get the SATA II's. But I guess it's not really a big deal... considering what I'm using it for.
Closed Thread