Socket A?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DyNaStY336

In Runtime
Will an AMD sempron socket A work in a socket A motherboard that originally came with an Athlon XP2000+? and is the 2400+ sempron better for gaming than the 2000+?

You might want to check the manufacturer for the latest BIOS if that board is a bit old. The board I was using prior to my current one started out with a max processor speed support of only an XP2000. A later BIOS upgrade took that to an XP2600.

Your XP 2000+ will probably provide as good of if not better performace than the Sempron 2400+, an upgrade such as this seems pointless, especially for someone interested in gaming.

Stick with the Athlons.

Yeah, your going to need something better if its going to be a UPGRADE. Why dont you get a 2800 XP, and a better mobo so you can OC it. This upgrade would only cost around 225$.

Just get a 2500+ and up the FSB to 200Mhz and you'll have a 3200+ barton core for 80 bucks
Not if his board won't allow him to lock the AGP bus, inwhich it'll then be pointless to buy that CPU being that the only way he could OC is by raising the Multiplier which is pretty much guaranteed to be locked on that CPU.

Don't suggest that CPU unless you can give full details on what they need to OC it and what they should expect.

The XP-M's are the best overclockers with unlocked multipliers, low voltages and low heat, BUT you still gotta be able to lock the AGP bus.

Semprons are low end processors man. They are absolute crap.

They are the next step after durons. They aren't number crunchers and OC'ing would be next to pointless. If you're going to upgrade stick with the Athlon XP series (not to be confused with Athlons which is a completely different, previous gen processor)

Semprons are completely NOT for gaming.

If you can lock your AGP bus then your best bet is to get a 45w 2600+ XP-M , change the FSB from 133 to 200 in the BIOS and then up the multiplier for a higher clock speed if you so wish to do so

I suggest if you even remotely consider OC'ing an option then read the 'Basics to Overclocking' sticky at the top so you know what I'm talking about when I say AGP bus

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom