so i THOUGHT things were going well...

Status
Not open for further replies.

regeisle

In Runtime
I was checking to see if my P4 had hyperthreading enabled and running, and ran into another issue. Any suggestions are appreciated -

1 - Hyperthreading. It's enabled in BIOS. When I go to "Set Affinity" in Task Mgr, it shows Processor 0 and Processor 1. But under general system prop's, it only lists one. Shouldn't it list two here? Is there an official way to see if HT is working?

2 - FSB. I got the P4, 2.8 MHZ 800 MHZ FSB Northwood. I have DDR 400 installed running in dual channel mode. I ran Belarc advisor to check up my new system, and noticed the following...
>>>Board: Intel Corporation D865PERL AAC27646-210
>>>Serial Number: BTRL35003253
>>>Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
>>>BIOS: Intel Corp. RL86510A.86A.0061.P09.0308281850 >>>08/28/2003

200 MHZ!?!? Should that not be 800 MHZ? I thought if I had the DDR400, I'd be all set? What do I need to do to see that 800 MHZ, and is there another way I can check the bus speed, to double check?

Thanks!

To update the thread... I may have been mistaken, and I got all worked up before doing some research, hence the post...

I've put my stats here:
http://www.design-idea.net/images/Untitled-1.jpg

It is showing 800 MHZ (or close) FSB so I'm all set there. Now that those are up, anything easy I could do to bump performance, or something I may not have set correctly? I can't OC b/c it's an Intel board, but I just want to make sure I have everything set up and running up to it's potential.

Sorry for the psycho post earlier :) Panicked a little there.

Any thoughts/suggestions are welcomed!

Richard

I think 200Mhz is correct cosz its multiplier with 4.
4 * 200 Mhz = 800 Mhz

If you have an intel board, they slightly underclock it. In your BIOS, under advanced chipset, you can get your frequency to center instead of down. you then select continue and you will have the possibility to overclock it by 1 to 4%.
If you are unfamiliar with BIOS, you can also download the Intel Control Center from my previous post and do the adjustments from there.

zerozero, i'm somewhat unfamiliar with oc'ing. I downloaded the control center, but can't seem to find what to change. any further details you could give would be great. 4% isn't much, but it's better than nothing. thanks!

figured it outt going through the bios. booted up fine at 4%. is 4% anything I need to be cautious of? Close to idle, my temp is about 41C, same as it was before. Also, should it miraculously cause my processor to melt down, does it really void the warranty? I assume they have ways to check to see if you've bumped up that 4%. So basically, are there any reasons NOT to go to 4% if it's stable?

Thanks for the quick followups!

Nope. As long as your temperature is stable. It will probably go in the low 50's when you play intensive game like FarCry etc...
Haven't had any problems with mine and it's been up there since I bought it. I also have stock cooling on it so nothing fancy.
The meltdown is somewhere around 75 degrees so you don't have to worry. Your temp monitor will advise you if one of the temps goes over the limit even if you are playing a game (as long as you don't disable it).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom