So-dimm = Sdram? - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 07-28-2005, 05:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

Question So-dimm = Sdram?

I'm trying to look for more RAM for my laptop. I just opened it up, and saw that it can only hold one stick of RAM. It has a maximum capacity of 320MB, but they don't make a stick like that. So I looked for a stick of 256MB of PC133. All I could find was SO-DIMM, so I typed in SDRAM in keywords, and still came with the same stick of RAM, so will this stick of RAM work for my laptop, or am I out of luck because it's so old?

Here's a link:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820211124

Old 07-28-2005, 05:51 PM   #2 (permalink)
True Techie

That module should work just fine in your laptop. I would recommend updating the BIOS before install it. What make and model of laptop is it?

The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
When responding please provide your full system specs; hardware and software, OS, BIOS, drivers Etc. You can e-mailmemory related questions to cpl@micron.com
Old 07-28-2005, 06:11 PM   #3 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

All the specs are in my sig, but it's a Compaq Presario 1200 series. It's about 4 years old. When I looked at my stick of RAM, it didn't look like it had the break in the middle, but I look closer tonight, and post a picture of it up.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:56 PM   #4 (permalink)
True Techie

Well it takes PC133 SO-DIMMs and the memory module you posted from NewEgg will work just fine. All SDRAM SO-DIMMs are the same size, so no worries.
The Memory Experts(SM) at Crucial Technology is now on board to give you straight answers to your memory-related questions.
When responding please provide your full system specs; hardware and software, OS, BIOS, drivers Etc. You can e-mailmemory related questions to cpl@micron.com
Old 07-28-2005, 07:16 PM   #5 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

Okay, well just to put the icing on the cake, here are the two pictures that I just took. I guess it does have the break in the middle.

Here's the other:

So the link to the RAM on newegg will work? I'll have to get that pretty soon then.. Thanks for all your help Crucial.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:12 PM   #6 (permalink)
Lord Techie

yeah that will work. sounds like your confused about the definition of so-dimm. so-dimm is the form that the stick comes in sdram is the actual type of ram
Old 07-28-2005, 11:32 PM   #7 (permalink)
The Angriest of Amoebas

Quote:
Originally posted by nitestick
yeah that will work. sounds like your confused about the definition of so-dimm. so-dimm is the form that the stick comes in sdram is the actual type of ram
You are correct. When I first saw that on newegg, I was like, uh WTF? I want SDRAM. But I was also confused because my desktop has SDRAM, and I was also like WTF? But now everything is cleared up, and I think I will end up getting that.
Old 07-28-2005, 11:40 PM   #8 (permalink)
Lord Techie

cool. good luck
Old 07-29-2005, 12:13 AM   #9 (permalink)
Ultra Techie

Send a message via AIM to TheHeadFL

SO-DIMM = Small Outline Dual Inline Memory Module. Its a form factor, not a type of memory.

Linux: P3 450Mhz, 386MB ram, Slackware 10.1 (Running mySQL/Apache)
Closed Thread