SmartPower Vs. TruePower

Status
Not open for further replies.

krazieaznboi

Daemon Poster
i just want to no if there is any significant differences between these psus and which one do u recommned purchasing.

I think Smart power is a more effecient model and True Power is a little more performance oriented. Dam Marketers are making it so hard just to get a simple PS...

markkleb said:
I think Smart power is a more effecient model and True Power is a little more performance oriented.

What does this mean?

Efficiency IS a measure of performance. As something gets more "efficient" at doing something (e.g. more "productivity output" vs cost), it's level of performance is said to be better.

And both lines provide units with varying output wattage I believe. As I said before, I think it's the standards which they adhere to. I'd verify it, but I am in rush.. :)

Silverstone!
but if you have to get a Antec get the Tru-Power. ( a lot of people here like the Tru-Power 550)

A lot of names are just marketing gimmicks to make people think one is better than the other.

I checked them and it turns out the Smart Power is no more effecient than the Tru-Power

Differences
SP has a fan in the back that turns on when it gets hot. Thats what makes it "smart". It has voltages in areas and is typicaly smaller in wattage than true power

TP is made more for the enthusiast as to where it has higher wattages and i believe SLI ready and all that nonsense. It also comes in a Blue LED form as well. I would get a true power.

P.P. Mguire nailed it. smart power changes the fan speeds because the power supply is "smart". true power has a constant fan speed but it was made more for gaming computers that require more power like sli setups. i would prefer the truepower.

It seems that the "new" SmartPower "is" 2.0 compliant. The old model was 1.3 compliant only. So I guess the compliancy of the standard that's not a difference anymore.
http://www.silentpcreview.com/article260-page1.html

Guess that's something to make sure IF you buy a smartpower. Not to buy an "old" smartpower that is only 1.3 compliant. I am not saying to buy either way since I didn't get a chance to read the spec sheets (smart vs true). But, if the cheaper unit is enough for your load, keep the money in your pociket. Guess you could consider other factors like Power factor and such as well.

j369852147412 said:
mart power changes the fan speeds because the power supply is "smart".

Doesn't have to be that smart.. All it needs is a LM63 chip. The LM63 chip goes for about a $1 a piece.. Probably the most common fan modulation chip on the market right now.
http://www.national.com/pf/LM/LM63.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom