sluggish SD RAM

Status
Not open for further replies.

waynejkruse10

Fully Optimized
i have P2 400mhz in a GA - 6VOE or something simelar. It has approx 170mb of sd ram, all spread over 3 sticks:

1 x 128mb
1x 32
1x 8

now when it runs win 2k, it seems a but sluggish, even with that much ram, could it be the 128 instead of running at pc 133 is forced down to the speed of the 8mb stick, shold i leave just the fast 128mb stick in and take out the other two, even though its less ram, its still much faster?
wayne

Wayne,

You are probably right in removing the smaller sticks, but in all truth what you really need to do is add another stick of 128 meg ram. Win2k/xp will run like a dog on 128 megs, run ok on 256 megs, but 512 megs is what you want for a much smoother ride. 1 gig if you want to fly!

the smaller sticks aren't really giving you much boost for the slow down they are giving you buss speed. probably running at 66 mhz because of the 8 meg chip.

ok, but is it really worth investing that much into a p2 400, but ill remove the 8mb one and experiment with different sticks.

well it's not necessarily the processor platform, but the OS needs. These OS's are resource hogs more so than previous versions.

I will say that I probably wouldn't spend the money on the machine, but it's not my machine... ;-)

I have two sticks of PC133 memory I'm trying to get rid of.

64mb - Inifneon - CL3
128mb - Microntron - CL3

I'll sell off both pieces for $25. I've put it up for some other dude a while back but he never replied so I'm just offering it up for anyone who wants it. Then you'd have 320mb memory. Or if you just want the 128mb I could give it to you for $15 which is about half the price of any 128mb PC133 you'll find on the internet.

I designed and maintain my dads website at www.27thavenue.com I would create it as a 'hidden product' so that only you could access it and have payment go through there if you are interested. Just send me a PM :D

firstly, i cant buy of the net because i dont have a credit card, plus i am in australia so that also complicates things

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom