slow for sum reason

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj2003

Daemon Poster
im comp is runnin quite slow alot of the time and with my other topic bout the ram on monitor i found out that my 512mb of ram is enough cos there is space but wen ive got programs like overnet and msn runnin with 1 or 2 IE windows open my comp slows down, but its only sumtimes. ive ran a updated adaware and spybot so i dont think there is any adware on. would norton systemworks and internet security both 2004 have much of an effect? its really doi my head in i though this system would be faster :S

So you have Spybot 1.3? Just makin sure.

I'm assuming you made sure you dont have a bunch of crap open in the background, etc, right?

What kind of slow-down are you talking about? Does your HD make a bunch of noise, and things just take longer? Check the size of your page file, etc and get back to us.

Actually it wouldn't matter what version he has, the definitions are downloaded regardless of the version. You'll need to check all of your startup programs, my guess is you have a lot of crap running in the background that you don't need...

run -> msconfig.exe
Then goto the startup tab and anything you see that you don't need to startup by itself, uncheck the box on it.

The next thing is to goto your control panel and goto add or remove programs, in there search for anything that look suspicious or something that obviously doesn't belong in there. Select it and click remove.

After you check these things make sure you update Ad-aware and your spybot apps and run them to make sure that there isn't anything on your computer making is stall like it is.

Give a virus scan a try, you can use your norton but it won't find anything so go here:
http://housecall.trendmicro.com/housecall/start_corp.asp

ive been tryin to keep my comp tidy and know everything thats runnin on it at all times. there is nothing in add/remove progs that i dunno what it is. i have updated all my spyware progs.

i dunno anythin bout page files but i knew where to find it out if that makes any sence. it says custom size initail size 768mb max size 1536mb then at the bottom min allowed 2mb recommended 766mb currently allocated.

my hdd is SATA and 8mb so that isnt what slows it down. :S

afew pics of my progs runnin see if u can see anythin that shouldnt be cos im bit worried bout turnin stuff off that i dunno what it is if u know what i mean. thanks for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom