Slow cpu speed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Delinkwent

Baseband Member
Ok i recently purchased a 3.2ghz prescott and my mobo is clocking it at 2.8ghz... the dell technicians say that the motherboard supports the processor... but during the startup it says that the processor is not supported and is running at a reduced speed... the computer came with a 2.8ghz HT processor

Thx in advance

Attachments

• cpuid1.jpg
    59.7 KB · Views: 86
Check the dell site for an updated mobo bios. The problem is the mulitplier, it should be 16, not 14.

The BIOS might be permately locked at 14, knowing Dell.

If the Dell site doesn't have a new BIOS, contact them and tell them what you need.

thx for the reply... but i have the most recent bios update and these assholes at dell wont work with me because my warranty is up... i mean i guess i'll try again with them but is this the only option?

Does Intel have something like Cool 'n' Quiet? (It lowers the CPU mulitplier to create less heat.)

You could have a look in the bios to see if there is a option to raise it, but it is unlikly.

no i dont see anything like that cool n' quiet.. nothin on my computer like that... my bios has locked my processor speed to 2.8ghz and i cant raise that... or anything else related to it... there is only one thing i can change... it says cpu speed: compatible, normal.... when i put it on compatible i cant even boot my pc...

Well under CPU options (if available) you should change that 15 number to 16 :)

That will solve the problem, if it's possible on the dell mobo

Yeah, your not going to be able to raise the multi, it should auto detect if its the correct BIOS.

What is your exact model number and system specs?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom