Slow Comp

Status
Not open for further replies.

rorybhoy1888

Beta member
Hey every1, New here

Just asking a question about my computer

My computer has been going very slow since ive got it but its got good GHZ. It also slow playing games. I think it has to do with my RAM

Intel Celeron
2.6 GHZ
256 RAM

What you guys think please

Thanks

Well, i'd try running some spyware programs and maybe a virus scan. They have a wonderful article at www.sysopt.com about "PC Housecleaning". Celeron's can be a little sluggish with multitasking etc, might also be a problem. I'm sure www.tomshardware.com has also done an article about it.

First off. a 2.6GHz celeron isn't all that fast. The Celerons are the slowest of the Intel series and really aren't meant for heavy number crunching, apps, and gaming. It's not a powerful processor...probably about as powerful as an AMD XP2200+ or so really....

Also...256mb of what kind of ram..is it PC3200, PC2700, PC2100, PC133, PC100 what? We need to know that kind of info as well...but beyond that 256mb isn't very much these days. Most newer games require atleast 384 so a good amount to have now-a-days is 512mb and that's about standard whereas 256 was maybe a year ago or less...

Also...mercian is right...you should check to make sure your system isn't loaded with spywar and stuff. Use a program like Spybot Search & Destroy and ad-aware SE...use BOTH to thoroughly check your system, don't forget the updates... and www.pc-cillin.com also offers a free online virus scan.

Basically it comes down to the fact that this is how Intel sells their computers. To people who only look at numbers. I'm not getting on to you, but if you want to ever learn about computers you need to look past numbers and get details. an AMD XP processor running at 2GHz would easily outperform that 2.6GHz intel especially because it is a Celeron...those ARE NOT IN ANYWAY performance chips...hate to disappoint you if you thought 2.6GHz automatically meant fast.

AMD's are better for gaming and can do more with slower clock cycles..that's why a 2GHz AMD XP chip can beat out a 2.6GHz intel besides the fact that the Intel is also celeron. Hope this has proved useful to you.

also you mentioned gaming,what kind of video card are you using,and do you have the correct and most updated drivers for it? not just the "win xp found and installed" drivers..those will cause overall lagging too.

not just the "win xp found and installed" drivers..those will cause overall lagging too.
Yeah never use WinXP Found drivers, those always suck and will lead you to troubles, you most definitely need to go to your manufacturers website and get the latest drivers for your card.

If the rig came with a Celeron, it's obviously a budget PC. Budget PC's tend to come with crap graphics cards, guessing you have some integrated setup. Probably what's hurting you the most, far as games are concerned. Greatest of the evils neh?

Nubius said:
First off. a 2.6GHz celeron isn't all that fast. The Celerons are the slowest of the Intel series and really aren't meant for heavy number crunching, apps, and gaming. It's not a powerful processor...probably about as powerful as an AMD XP2200+ or so really....

Also...256mb of what kind of ram..is it PC3200, PC2700, PC2100, PC133, PC100 what? We need to know that kind of info as well...but beyond that 256mb isn't very much these days. Most newer games require atleast 384 so a good amount to have now-a-days is 512mb and that's about standard whereas 256 was maybe a year ago or less...

Also...mercian is right...you should check to make sure your system isn't loaded with spywar and stuff. Use a program like Spybot Search & Destroy and ad-aware SE...use BOTH to thoroughly check your system, don't forget the updates... and www.pc-cillin.com also offers a free online virus scan.

Basically it comes down to the fact that this is how Intel sells their computers. To people who only look at numbers. I'm not getting on to you, but if you want to ever learn about computers you need to look past numbers and get details. an AMD XP processor running at 2GHz would easily outperform that 2.6GHz intel especially because it is a Celeron...those ARE NOT IN ANYWAY performance chips...hate to disappoint you if you thought 2.6GHz automatically meant fast.

AMD's are better for gaming and can do more with slower clock cycles..that's why a 2GHz AMD XP chip can beat out a 2.6GHz intel besides the fact that the Intel is also celeron. Hope this has proved useful to you.

Get past the numbers? There is a reason why a 2Ghz AMD chip would "outperform" the Intel 2.6Ghz.. It's due to the AMD chip's higher IPC. You can achieve performance in many different ways. You could increase the FSB, Core Clock, IPC, Cache, Change Pipeline Arch., etc..

Also, what kind of games is he talking about? 2.6Ghz isn't exactly slow either. Even if it is only a Celeron. All that means is it has a lower FSB/Cache and less optimization programming.

So see, your still dealing with numbers.. So yes, looking at them does help.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom