SLI motherboards..

Status
Not open for further replies.

caseyc

In Runtime
I'm about to piece together a new PC and haven't found many reliable, unbiased opinions on socket 939 SLI motherboards. This is the layout:

Athlon FX-55 64 bit
1gb DDR memory
GeForce 6600GT

Now, PCI-X 1x ports aren't necessary, but I'd prefer to have as many options for upgrading as possible. The one I'm considering at this time is the Asus A8N-SLI board, however I haven't heard much about other boards.

the msi board is really good but i hear DFI have on comin/out and they make top quality boards.

I would reconsider that system alittle, if ur goin for gamin it might be a idea to drop the fx55 down to maybes a 4000 or 3800 nd put the extra money on 6800gts cos 1 6800gt gives aprrox the same performance as 2 6600gts in sli. just a suggestion

DFI has a full blown SLI out and a 2x PCI-E board.

Only difference between the 2 is a bridge, however this is due to the nvidia chip, and nvidia got angry, and their changing it :/

aj2003 said:
the msi board is really good but i hear DFI have on comin/out and they make top quality boards.

I would reconsider that system alittle, if ur goin for gamin it might be a idea to drop the fx55 down to maybes a 4000 or 3800 nd put the extra money on 6800gts cos 1 6800gt gives aprrox the same performance as 2 6600gts in sli. just a suggestion

I'm not that heavy into gaming, I'd prefer having a top-knotch processor over the video card, not to mention paying for two 6800 ultras (equal to two 6600GTs) would be over $1100 (canadian) and buying 2 6600GT's would be about $500. Games aren't necessarily my main focus, I just want a decent motherboard with some nice features.

MSI came out with an SLI board however it doesn't have any PCI-X 1x slots, so that's a little disappointing. I'll look into the DFI one, thanks!

Yeah, I think it's better to invest more money in the processor, it'll last him a lot longer than the video card. And a 6600GT will perform everything at settings that I doubt anyone can complain about, add another in SLI and you've got a nice little system picked out.

I like the MSI nforce4 SLI board, I think Abit has an SLI board out as well that's getting some pretty good praise, I can't remember exactly though.

I found the DFI board and it's really nice, however it seems like it's really rare and noticeably more expensive. 2x PCI-X 16X, 1x PCI-X 4x, 1x PCI-X 1x, and 2 PCI expansion - i like that. I'd go for the MSI however their expansion controllers are simply PCI, doesn't give me a lot of variety.

Link to DFI board

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom