Slave Hard drive can't be found

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tabansi

Solid State Member
Hey. I just trying something. My old 29.6 GB hard drive just crapped out on me and started to fail, the start up went first. I just bought a new 160 GB hard drive and Windows XP home edition. I upgraded it and got the 160 GB HD to work and im trying to hook up my old HD to a slave drive so I can extract some important files off there.. or what i can extract off..

I'm pretty sure I did it correctly because when I had turned on the comp with it was making the clicking sounds the 29.6 GB HD was making before the start-up crapped out.

I dunno if this will help but on startup I turned on the monitor and it said something along the lines of,

"Updated C:/ 160GB and CD Drive"

Then it restarted and did it one more time then it opened XP. I tried to look around for the new slave drive but it was as if i didnt install it.

I think the problem is I don't have adminstrative powers.. but then again im wondering is there a way to get around that? or do i have to tell the comp I gonna be installing a slave drive before I do it?

Any help would be appreciated. Thx!

If ur harddrive makes clicking sounds its dieing like u mentioned. I think it died.

you can try this (assuming its still working):
-make sure its jumpered correctly (slave)
-make sure the channel is set as "auto detect"in ur BIOS

I think so for the most part. Yet, When it was clicking, I could access it every once in a while, awkwardly it stopped clicking for a couple days and then it was fine, then it started clicking again. Then it flopped. *shrugs* ohwell i bet this aint helpin. lol

I gonna try to do it a few more times and if I cant get into it ill toss it :confused:

Thread moved to hardware zone as this is a problem and not a hardware tip

;)

if i had a dead HD. id do experiments on it b4 i would toss it...

like put it in the refridgerator for an hour or so and get it realy cool. then hook it back up and see what it does.

Sorry Im kinda comp illiterate lol. i thought a hard drive was hard ware.

yes, a harddrive IS hardware.

This thread has probably been moved because you posted in "Hardware TIPS" instead of the "Hardware zone" :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom