Simple question about a memory upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.

PJYelton

Baseband Member
I currently have a PC2100 (133 MHz) 256 MB memory card and a PC2300 (143 MHz) 512 MB memory card installed in my motherboard and I was thinking about upgrading. I can't afford that much and it looks like I am going to get a PC3200 512 MB card to replace the 256 card giving me a gig of memory (can't afford a whole gig at this speed unfort). My question is, will there be any problems with the two 512 cards considering they will be at much different speeds? And would this upgrade be much of an improvement for my system, especially for games?

My specs:

Sempron 2800+
MicroStar MS-7061 mobo
ATI Radeon 9600XT

first, most important is that we have to know if your motherboard supports pc3200. If it can't , you're stuck with what you got. or get another pc 2300 mem stick

If your mobo does support pc3200, then your best bet is, as blind_arrow already mentioned, sell both what you got and buy 2 x 512 pc 3200s. If two different speed mem sticks are installed, the higher speed one goes down to the lower speed. So it's just a waste of money to get a 3200 if it's just going to end up being a pc2300.

installing two different speed mem sticks shouldn't be much of a problem unless it has compatibility issues. You should see some significant speed changes in games.

hope this helps??

good point noted by geo3tech.

damn! i didnt thought of it. anyway, but seeing at his specs, it is believed that his motherboard (as its supporting Sempron) can as well handle PC3200's. AGREED?

Thanks for the help guys! Yeah, just checked the system specs and my mobo can handle up to 400 DDR which if I'm not mistaken is what the PC3200 is at.

I'll see if I can't find a good deal on getting two sticks, sucks that both will be only as fast as the slowest one.

speed wont be issue, as I told, but in-comtability might will be. and it will slower down ur pc even more than what ever its running at currently.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom