silly question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdyoung23

Solid State Member
on a processor like AMD 3200, what does the 3200 stand for.
Same with graphics cards. Like geforce 5700 fx.
Also what is UG?
Sorry for the noob questions.

I'm not sure they do mean anything...

I always hear that the 3200 is supposed to compare to the 3.2GHz P4 because the AMD processors have a smaller speed rating and to the average PC buyer if they have been told to look for a fast processor 'speed' they would usually go for a 3.2 P4 over a 2.2 AMD (or wat eva the speed of the 3200 is).

But I am probably wrong :)

Yes, just an indication of its performance. Not MHz.

I thnk the numbers on graphics cards (5700, 9800 etc) are just numbers. Could be wrong, tho.

I would guess the 4000, 5000 etc numbers are for the series of the card, then you have the speed/memory rating in the hundreds for example 6600 is series 6? With something of it running at 600 :s while the 6800 is the same series but runs at 800 something...

As you can see I have no clue as to what I'm saying so I think its best I shut up now!

I thought that the first number is the generation, and the last bit was just a random number. as the 6800 has not got anything at 800mhz.

Trifid said:
I thought that the first number is the generation, and the last bit was just a random number. as the 6800 has not got anything at 800mhz.

True. The "6" means the GeForce 6 series. The "800" means the top card in the series.

With ATI, the "X" is roman numeral "10," meaning Radeon 10 series. So the X800 is essentially that Radeon 10800...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom