Silicon Image Controller Problem (SATA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

i_krayzie_i

Baseband Member
I have an issue with the silicon image controller card and or the hard drive. I am using that card the 3112a model and a W.D 36gb SATA raptor. My issue is that when loading the o/s it takes about 5min for it to do anything. It is like it is freezing for around 5-8 min, doing nothing at all, and then all of a sudden it works. The drive is recognized everything works except for when booting up, and it was the same for installing the o/s. Also, I have 2 different o/s's on two different drives and it does it no matter if im booting of the o/s that is on the sata drive or not. I belive it is the controller card, and yes i have the most updated drivers available on the website and have even upgraded the bios of the controller card and it still remains the same.

Note:

Ive also had problems with the controller card recognizing the drive and have tried every port on the card: 2 internal that do not recognize the drive and 1 external that odly does recognize the drive. I had to run the sata cable through an empty pci slot to the back of the controller. This is the only way it recognizes the drive. I am wondering if there is some jumper on the actual card that needs to be set to make it internal only. This problem is very annoying to say the least. Any help would be appreciated

o/s is xp pro sp1 : mb is asus p4533-c 1gb rdram fx5900 128mb graphics card it doesnt matter if i do a clean install or not it hangs up everytime ive tried two different towers

Hello Dolly! Silicon Image Serial ATA 3112r driver issues! Here I come.

I have issues with mine and have emailed Silicon Image...(still waiting for a reply) and Gigabyte....(same response no matter what question I ask).

Your issue is different then mine, but it gave me ideas.

I installed a 120gb Western Digital Serial ATA drive and connected it internally to the 1 connector. After reading about using the Floppy disk to load Windows XP nothing much went wrong. I loaded WinXP and all of my Manufacturer drivers without issue. (The Serial ATA driver wasn't Windows certified)

After a week of flawless performance by my Serial ATA drive, it crashed! I turned it on one morning after a night without incident on the computer and it came up to the Safemode screen...(sort of that screen)

It said, "We're sorry, but windows did not close correctly blah, blah, blah...." It gave me the option to boot normally, safemode or from last known good boot etc.

After selecting any of the options it would goto the, "Windows Loading....." screen for a few seconds and then reboot with a flash! No matter what I did it would not load windows.

I gave in and put in my WinXP disk and started the reloading procedure. I tried both Repair and Full reinstall, but both would fail. Just as soon as it started to read the HDD it would freeze for a few seconds and then flash to the, "Windows had a problem that required it to be shutdown to prevent damage to your computer".

Basically it was dead in the water. I purchased an 80gb IDE HDD and loaded that. As soon as I loaded the Serial ATA drivers from the manufacturers disk, Windows crashed and would just reboot at the, "Windows Loading...." part. The only way to fix it was to disable the Serial ATA portion in the BIOS.

Gigabyte gave me new drivers with the same instructions, but all that did was frag my system and cause me to reload windows all over again!

Anyone have this issue or know what in the world I could do?

PS - I think I will post this info in it's own post......:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom