*Sigh* I'm making the transition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's a pretty accurate conversion.

Nubius, vsync should only harm your framerate if you have it set low. But for me at least when I play OpenGL games it actually IMPROVES my framerate, if I have the settings correct.
I put my monitor and game on 1600 X 1200 resolution and 60HZ/60FPS vsync. Then I enable 6x temporal aa, 16x AF (I think it's 16x), ultra high settings, put vsync to ALWAYS ON. Then under my OpenGL specific settings I set the mipmap details to highest quality and enable the Triple Buffering option. This will actually increase your framerate in OpenGL games when your frame rate is below the desired refresh rate.
I don't see why you would mind it anyway though, considering anything over 60 fps isn't going to make a difference anyway. I usually only get 40-50 fps as it is with 60 fps vsync enabled.

About the X850 XTs, I own one, it rocks :)

At the same time, I wouldn't upgrade now to PCI-E for no reason. When the next gen come out, go for that (if u feel the need). Also, nForce 4 mobos are really nice.

idiotec, out of interest what score do you get in 3DMark 05?
Got me currious, thought I would check... 5138. Not bad, but not great. I will have to try it with some OC and see what I can get....

Pretty sure you'd get 5500 in 05 idiotec.
Not quite :(

Yea that score isn't too good. Your whole system is sweet except for the video card. Similar in ways to mine as well. :)

dale5605 said:
Yea that score isn't too good. Your whole system is sweet except for the video card. Similar in ways to mine as well. :)

6800 GT is awesome! I know you are an ATI fan boy, but 6800 GT was best value for the money for a long time, and is still a very strong card, guaranteed to play any new game at full settings, with AA and AF.

X850XT is a good card, and X800XL is great value, but I would get a 6800 GT if I bought today.

Well, with slight OC I got 5732, quite an improvement. Settings:

CPU - 3.7GHz (266x14 RAM 1:1)
GPU - 425/1100

These are settings I run at quite regulary so pretty realistic.

idiotec said:
I don't understand why you would do that now if you already have an AGP 6800GT? Why not just wait until you need to upgrade your video card then make the switch?
This seems the most resonable way to do it all you are doing is just getting the same card but a different interface wait till something better comes out for the same price or whatever you have saved up then make the switch then it's a double whammy new card and new interface.

Those BFG OC's only have like...25MHz core increase. I knew a guy at the last LAN i went to that had an X800XT PE and he got 5500 in 3dmark05 so that GT isn't too far behind considering he paid like $500 for that and with a good OC you caught up to it pretty good, granted you basically OC'd it to an Ultra specs.

beedubaya said:
6800 GT is awesome! I know you are an ATI fan boy, but 6800 GT was best value for the money for a long time, and is still a very strong card, guaranteed to play any new game at full settings, with AA and AF.

X850XT is a good card, and X800XL is great value, but I would get a 6800 GT if I bought today.
I didn't mean that it was a bad card necessarily. Just that compared to the rest of his system it is a little weak. He would get more out of an x800 xt or x850 xt.
And you might as well stop calling me an ATI fan boy. I have suggested many nvidia alternatives before, you however are completely biased.

You might as well not call me biased either. You see, I suggested the X800XL, which I believe is great value for the money. The X800/850XT P.E. cards, while they are great performing cards, just aren't worth the price you pay for them IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom