*Sigh* I'm making the transition...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nubius said:
Yeah considering Ultra quality was really meant for 512mb cards....I remember the 6xxx release news back in march of last year and they said "We will be having new 512mb cards out by summer" and here it is, a freakin year later and they are JUST now barely starting to show news of being released....that's kind of lame IMO, buuuut oh well.

I watched the 6800 release conference last (April/May kinda time?), and I remember the bosses saying that too... Now that the 512mb versions are finally seeing the light of day, GeForce 7 is due out in a few months :confused:... Maybe they meant next summer.

Nubius said:
Atleast when i step up to the 6800GT I will be able to see it on Ultra settings although I doubt I'll actually play it like that unless it does infact run great. I've never turned Vsync on in any game though, I've never had an image tearing issue and it just slows framerate

It's my monitor's fault, mate; most of my games suffer from tearing if I don't enable Vsync. Without it enabled Doom 3 runs 90% flawlessley.

I watched the 6800 release conference last (April/May kinda time?), and I remember the bosses saying that too...
Yup that's the exact same video I saw, I know it had to have been. They were showing off that wooden ship firing cannons and saying "look how the ship sways when the cannon fires" and showing the mermaid chick and her flowing hair. They said an FX 5900 Ultra would only get like 3fps if it tried rendering that same scene, sounded nice an impressive back then.

I coulda sworn they said 'Gonna be released this summer!' either that or they just said 'released summer' so they could work around it and say 'nah we never said THIS summer' which is kind of lame.

I seriously think that is a VERY bad use of money. You would spend what, about $600 bucks for a new board and new vid card and get basically ZERO performance boost? Just sounds like a bad idea to me.

Save that money and spend it on something that will actually give you a boost. AMD is going DDR2 next year which will be another mobo change, RAM change, and I think (?) a cpu change due to the onboard memory controller (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong). Also, both ATI and nVidia's next generation cards are right around the corner. Upgrades at that point would make sense, but not now IMHO ;)

idiotec said:
I seriously think that is a VERY bad use of money. You would spend what, about $600 bucks for a new board and new vid card and get basically ZERO performance boost? Just sounds like a bad idea to me.

Save that money and spend it on something that will actually give you a boost. AMD is going DDR2 next year which will be another mobo change, RAM change, and I think (?) a cpu change due to the onboard memory controller (I am sure someone will correct me if I am wrong). Also, both ATI and nVidia's next generation cards are right around the corner. Upgrades at that point would make sense, but not now IMHO ;)

idiotec, this is what I'm debating lol ;)

To put your mind at rest, it's likely that I don't upgrade right now, but as soon as the next gen of cards are due I'm off to the hardware shop to become PCI-E compatible, no question.

To put your mind at rest, it's likely that I don't upgrade right now, but as soon as the next gen of cards are due I'm off to the hardware shop to become PCI-E compatible, no question.
Sounds good. I will sleep better knowing that :p

I haven't ran 05, but I im in the 12,000 range in 03. I think that has translated into the 4,000 to 5,000 range in 05 but I am not sure. I will have to give it a try one of these days.

Pretty sure you'd get 5500 in 05 idiotec.

Don't know if they'd require a CPU change for the memory going to DDR2 though, but seriously DDR1's life hasn't even run out yet. There's been numerous DDR1 modules hitting DDR2 high ass speeds with tighter timings.

We've been bombarded with hardware changes in this last year, it's killing anyone and everyons pocket. After I step up to this 6800GT I dread having to upgrade again because I know I'll basically have to buy a completely new system.

New mobo, new CPU, possibly DDR2 RAM, a new PSU, new graphics card......EHHHH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom