Should a person go xp athlon or is 64 necessary?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ingeborgdot

Daemon Poster
This computer is going to be for general purpose use. Emails, web browsing, music, pictures, word processing and maybe some games. Is xp 64 necessary or not?

if that is the case... you should go with the 754s (x86-64). they are so cheap right now. the only downside is that when u do upgrade the CPU, you will need to throw in a new motherboard. there is a lot of talking about how it is best to avoid the 754s... and that is bullshit. people argue because they don't support dual channel... which is quite overrated even though it does have its performance boost.

the 754s will give u the best performance to cost ratio. check it.

For Socket 754, I'd say you should get DFI Lanparty NF3 250gb. My friend a computer on that board a few days ago. He used an AMD Athlon 64 3400+ (754) and he overclocked it to around 2.7 GHz and still pushing.

You should always get an ATi gfx card depending on your usage. If you are going to play some games, I'd say you should buy a Radeon X700Pro just to be on the safe side since that outperforms a GeForce 6600. You don't wanna get too low frame rates on games and that means you don't wanna stoop down to the X600 series.

ingeborgdot said:
This computer is going to be for general purpose use. Emails, web browsing, music, pictures, word processing and maybe some games. Is xp 64 necessary or not?

No it is not neccessary to get an athlon64 for those purposes. I recommend anything except a celeron, duron, or sempron. An athlon XP or pentium 4 will do just fine. You can replace your video card if it doesn't meet the requirements to play games. You should be able to get a computer for your needs under $400 (excluding monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse). If you give us a budget range and what you're looking for (parts/ whole system) someone should be able to recommend something for you.

No it is not neccessary to get an XP64 for those purposes. I recommend anything except a celeron, duron, or sempron. An athlon XP or pentium 4 will do just fine. You can replace your video card if it doesn't meet the requirements to play games. You should be able to get a computer for your needs under $400 (excluding monitor, speakers, keyboard, mouse). If you give us a budget range and what you're looking for (parts/ whole system) someone should be able to recommend something for you.
I'm going to have to disagree with you, for just general purposes that he has listed, I think a Sempron is the most cost effective choice right now, he doesn't need any of the horsepower that the Athlon's boast, the Sempron is great value if you don't need a really big powerhouse.

By the way, Durons are now Semprons, the last Duron was a 1.4Ghz I think. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom