Should I pay or can I do it myself???

Status
Not open for further replies.

helloall

Baseband Member
I went to Best Buy and I was offered a service for a "small fee" if I buy one of their computers. What they do, I was told, is cleanup stuff and disable programs that I don't use at startup to make the computer run faster. I don't really know much about computers so I was wondering if this is a service I need and should I or can I do it myself??? Does it really make a difference???

Thank you in advance for any help.

You can do that using Warez Monster's 4-step process, or many other processes found on the web. Best Buy is known for ripping people off.

Thank you talldude123, however, isn't that for spyware removal? I think the service that I was being offered is called optimization where they disable or remove software from startup to make it run faster. I'll check out warez monsters anyways. Thanks.

Removing programs from start-up hardly improves performance at all. It just reduces the time from when you login, to the time you can actively start using your computer.

You can remove programs from the start-up extremely easily, and I or anyone else here can you help you do it if you want.

Depending on the computer that you buy, there can be alot of things to remove, or a little bit of things to remove.

HPm Dell, IBM, Lenovo don't put too much crap on their machines; Emachines, Gateway, and Averatec put alot of junk on their systems. Some of that junk even puts spyware on the system.

HPm Dell, IBM, Lenovo

HP puts plenty, and Dell really loads it on.

The "optimization" that BB is hawking is basically removing all the crap (trial software, "branded" software [Dell includes a billion of these], and such), and using MSCONFIG to turn off the fluff.

Here's a list I posted... covers mainly what they do (but not the uninstallation of "crapware"... which if you don't know what's what you don't need to do):
http://techist.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=938358#post938358

That looks excellent Trotter.

I'm going to clean up my parents laptop's (2) with that guide. They are spyware/virus magnets!

Thank you everyone for your help. I will try trotter's guide, but I am extremely computer illiterate so I'll probably be back soon bugging everyone for more help. Please bear with me. Thanks!

Okay I'm back. I am in system configurations and I am not sure what I need and don't need. There are programs with names I have never heard of before like "igefpers" and I'm afraid to do anything for fear I'll mess something up. Help please!!!

actually, crazeD, I would have to disagree. Many of the programs in the startup take system resources, especially if you have any that are TSR programs. The more that is in the startup, the more resources are being devoted to bloat. It can improve performce by limiting these programs. To answer your question on what to keep and not to keep, just search for the file name to find out if its necessary or not. Also, if you add ontop of that a memory leak that will really bog down a system.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom