Should I buy this laptop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ProdigyMytch

Solid State Member
I tried to post this in the Buy/Sell forum cause it's technically a topic concerning that category, but you have to have 40 posts, so I'm posting it in this section. Hope that's okay.

I've been looking for a laptop for college and currently my favorite prospect is an Averatec laptop at Circuit City.

However, today, I was flipping through an auto trader although I was searching for a dirtbike, I found this listed:

Averatec laptop computer: New, still in box, 3200 series, 256 mb, 40gv, AMD Athlon processor, 56k, windows XP, cost 1198.00, sell for 625 obo.

It does actually say "40gv", I'm assuming it's a typo and was suppose to be 40gb. Are AMD Athlon processors good? And, I was wanting at least 512 mb, and 80 gb. How much would it cost to upgrade those features?

Should I take this offer, or go somewhere else? I could probably down the price to 500.

amd athlon what? he never specied speed

and plus, 256mb and 40 gig doesn't look too attractive imo

I don't know the details on the Athlon. I'll call the guy tomorrow to ask for further details. In the meantime, if anyone can point me in the right direction of good deals, that'd greatly be appreciated. :) Basically, for graduation, my parents are willing to put out 500 for me, and I have to cover the rest. -__- They're cheapos.

Edit:
I just found this offer on an Averatec

Part#: AV3250H1-01
CPU: Mobile AMD Athlon XP-M 2200+
Display: 12.1" XGA TFT (1024 x 768)
Memory: 512MB DDR SDRAM
Graphics: S3 Unichrome Video Controller
HD: 60GB
Optical Drive: DVD/CD-RW drive
Communication: 56k Modem, 10/100 LAN, Wireless LAN 802.11g
Ports: 3 x USB2.0, VGA, Audio Ports, Mic, 1 Type II PC Card slot
Average Battery Life: 3 hours
Dimensions: 10.9" x 9.6" x 1"(WxDxH)
Weight: 4.5 lbs

currently at 500, but most likely will go up. How much is it worth? The guy says the laptop sells for 998 at Walmart.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom