Should I buy a gaming monitor or tv?

CLUE

Baseband Member
Hi, I just ordered a ps4 system and am now looking at buying a monitor for my room, I'm currently looking at the ASUS VG Series VG278H 27". It has 3d capability as well if you buy the extra requirements Nvidia2 3d kit and sounds like it has good refresh rate, etc, but my reason for going on here is, I currently don't have a desktop, I have a 3 or 4 year old gaming laptop with a fried vid card, which still works pretty well amazingly! I doubt im going to get it fixed, instead I'm thinking of just building a whole new desktop, but it will be a bit down the road financially. I just pre ordered a ps4 and I'm thinking, if I order this gaming monitor for my room, will it work ok if I just plug in the ps4 to it when i get it? Also, would I be able to watch 3d movies if I bought the Nvidia2 3d kit, before getting a new desktop to go with it and just put the movies on a flash card? Either way I'm just trying to justify this and looking for some opinions, the price is pretty reasonable compared to a good gaming tv and my roommate has a decent tv in the living room already, I'm thinking this might be a good idea, because I will have a good monitor for when I do get a new desktop and until then I can use it for a console monitor for my room, that I can also move into the living room easily as well. I guess my main concern is, will it work fine with my ps4 (I think this part will be fine?), and will I be able to possibly watch 3d movies on it if I use my ps4 or flash card? What would you do in my situation?

PC on a TV, I don't personally recommend it, and since you plan on building a desktop later it might be worth it to just buy the monitor.

On that, is 3D really worth it? Just so you know, the 3D vision kit/glasses comes with the monitor. You don't need to purchase a separate kit, but I'm not 100% certain PS4 3D will work with the monitor (although it should).

thanks, I'm sort of leaning towards the monitor, just for the refresh rate (no lag is important!) and definition, plus the the 3d is just a bonus! Never had 3d at the home before, it'd be cool to have, seeing as theres so many 3d movies coming out these days. I hope I don't kick myself when boxing day comes, I'll hold out until my ps4 is ready for pickup... but I think 500 is getting close to my limit, so I'm leaning towards quality instead of a huge screen. I'd like to see what will be offered for boxing day sales, but im impatient with these things! Thanks for the re-assurance, I'll probably just go ahead with ordering that soon, I doubt I'll get a killer gaming tv for that price range, even on boxing day, my by buddy bought a 60" tv to play games and it has too much lag for online and he paid over a grand

TV's are a different story compared to PC monitors on all fronts. You can't really compare a TV to a monitor directly because they are quite different, even though based around the same technology.

Just for future reference, refresh doesn't depict lag or have anything to do with it. Tell your buddy to make sure his HDMI is set to PC/Game mode, and that he has all the extra picture settings turned off because post processing on a TV causes significant lag compared to regular movie watching. This is something PC monitors don't have or do. The panels are also made with the fact that you sit about a foot or so away from your screen in mind. PCs also handle TVs different compared to PC monitors.

Back
Top Bottom