Should I add another (old) hard drive in for the swap file?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dario03

Fully Optimized
Not sure where this question belongs so I put it here... Anyways Would I be better off keeping the swap file on the single 250gb 7200rpm 8mb cache sata drive or should I put in this old 3.8gb 5200rpm 2mb cache ata 66(I guess) drive I have? In another thread I got two different opinions so I figured I would start a thread dedicated to this question

Computer is for low level video editing and is:
amd 2900xp barton 512kb cache 400fsb
Chaintech 7NJL6
1gb (2x512mb dual channel) TwinMoS
Geforce Mx440
segate 250gb 7200rpm 8mb cache

What about a ata 100 10gb 2mb cache drive or do I need to find a old 7200rpm and/or 8mb cache?

Not realy needed with 1 gig of memory. The page file will probalby be sparsely used. Better to get a program like Diskeeper Pro 9.0....the degrag and MTFS paging commands really will improve your system performance!

mmm... the lower rpm and cache will slow ur system down. better to keep it on the faster drive. you could just use the slow drive to backup all ur important stuff. (maybe you already do, i dont know)

A 3.8gig 5400 rpm HD and he is running a 250 gig master? And he is gonna use it for backup....I'm still on the floor roflol!!! OMG...........dude buy another250 gig sata for backup...they are dirt cheap right now and turn that old 3.8 into a frisbee!! Sheesh!!!:p :eek:

im sure that his most important documents for work or something dont exceed 3.8gig. that way he doesnt have to spend money.

hell, RicoDirenzo, when your only 15, and already owe ur parents lots of money for ur new comp, you learn to make do with what youve got.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom