Shopping for comp for mom.... need suggestion - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Closed Thread
Old 12-20-2004, 07:21 PM   #1 (permalink)
True Techie
Send a message via MSN to wongb18c
Default Shopping for comp for mom.... need suggestion

Putting together a comp for my moms... obviously she dosen't need all the high-end goodies.... however..... I do what to get a reliable mainboard for this computer... I was looking at this one....
wanted to know if it's a good board for the price.. I'm trying to find a relative cheap one since my budget isn't all that great.

She will only use this computer for daily typing... internet access... etc.. etc.. nothing fancy. Also, I already have a old AMD 1800xp cpu laying around, was wondering if it will fit this socket on this board? Of course I know on the description it says it supports all xp cpu.. but I'm asking just to double check... and basically I just want to know from people who might have this board.... is it overall a good board.. did it give any problems etc.

Also need a CD-Rom drive, was looking at this one...
again trying to find the cheapest I can get.... if anyone can suggest a better one please do....thx.

(\'.\') Q(\'\'Q) (\'.\'(O=(\'\'Q) (*.*) t(\"t )
Old 12-20-2004, 08:20 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie

The motherboard is great for just surfing the internet and whatever else mom's do lol. Make sure the AMD you have now is socket A since the motherboard is also socket A. If it isnt you can pick up this AMD Duron 1.8ghz (better than that 2000+ eitherway) for 50 bucks.

That CD drive is good, but if your really budgetting you can pick up a regular NEC or NU-lite for $20, 3 dollars less than that sony. Samething if its not gonna be under heavy use.

Well good luck and hope you consider what I said.
Sig removed due to size. Please read the rules before adding your compliant sig. SigSanta
Closed Thread