Shocked through power button! - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 05-13-2005, 04:12 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 725
Default Shocked through power button!

I go to turn on my computer, and I get a shock through my finger that was touching the power button. Should I be worried? Did said discharge go to my mobo of PSU? My case, BTW, is an Aspire X-Dreamer II, pics of which can be found here
Thanks.
__________________

digitaloracle is offline  
Old 05-13-2005, 05:04 PM   #2 (permalink)
Super Techie
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Posts: 259
Send a message via AIM to C.Ingram Send a message via Yahoo to C.Ingram
Default

If it was a minor static shock and your machine can still boot, no big deal. If it was a shock from the machine you'll need to unplug everything and check it over for electrical defects.

If you touched the button and got shocked, its likley the former. If you touched the button, pressed it, and then got shocked, its likley the latter.
__________________

__________________
Christopher Ingram
Principal Consultant, Souken Group, LLC.
C.Ingram@SoukenGroup.com
(856) 392 5244 -- (866) Go Souken
C.Ingram is offline  
Old 05-13-2005, 05:28 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ultra Techie
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 725
Default

Yeah, it was a very noticiable and unmistakable one, but before I hit the button (I hit it immediatly afterward though). I am posting from this machine now. What do you mean "electrical defects"? Shorts and the visible stuff (wires as opposed to components on the boards)?
__________________
AGP won\'t fit in PCI-E... unless you use a really good hammer. ~Trotter
digitaloracle is offline  
Old 05-13-2005, 05:34 PM   #4 (permalink)
Build Guru
 
PP Mguire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Fort Worth, Texas
Posts: 28,279
Default

like black marks, or somethign liek that on the boards and mobo. oyu know it could have been static electricity. i know one time i was shocked real bad from touching my mouse but it was only static.
__________________
"Resolution is just a number." #Ubisoft
Origin/Steam = PP_Mguire Twitch = pp_mguire Instagram = ppmguire PSN = PP_Mguire

Access to my Plex PM me.
PP Mguire is offline  
Old 05-13-2005, 06:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Lord Techie
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 8,013
Send a message via AIM to DJ-CHRIS
Default

No issue it's likely static that you collected, and your PC is grounded.
DJ-CHRIS is offline  
Closed Thread

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:29 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.