shielding my monitor - Techist - Tech Forum

Go Back   Techist - Tech Forum > Computer Hardware > Monitors, Printers and Peripherals
Click Here to Login
Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 01:07 AM   #1 (permalink)
Master Techie

Default shielding my monitor

Ok, after a hit and miss with getting a new sound system for the computer, I just got a new setup, actually its a new Sony stereo system: http://www.circuitcity.com/ccd/produ...cfkmdffhdfii.0

but I put the speakers too close to the monitor and saw funny colors appear on it...scared the crap out of me.
What I want to do is shield the monitor from the speaker's' magnetism. Has anyone ever sone this and if so what is the best material to use both in effectiveness and appearance?

Old 10-22-2004, 01:29 AM   #2 (permalink)
Lord Techie

Send a message via AIM to beedubaya

I had this happen, right after I bought this expensive NEC CRT, and it scared the hell out of me. I just moved my speakers, because I couldn't find anything to shield the monitor that was worth having next to it.

Old 10-22-2004, 03:16 AM   #3 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

I can't remember if this is true or not but try wrapping the speakers in aluminum, or put an aluminum sheet and make it like a wall between the speakers and the monitor. Let me know if it works.
Old 10-22-2004, 08:50 AM   #4 (permalink)
Master Techie

Well, if you don't have a lead box, you have a couple options.

1. Buy an LCD
2. Move the speakers away about a foot.
3. Buy better, shielded speakers. (Specifically, ones designed for computer use.)
4. Don't buy enormous speakers when you're just gonna put them right in front of you.

-----------------------------------------------
Don\'t hate the player...Hate the game...
Old 10-22-2004, 08:50 AM   #5 (permalink)
PowerQuest / Opera

I don't think aluminium works against magnetism....maybe a little...I would just move the speakers or buy smaller speakers
Old 10-22-2004, 12:43 PM   #6 (permalink)
Master Techie

well, thanks for the suggestions guys, aluminum sort of sucks (tacky), speakers are already bought so the best opion was to move them...i did, almost a foot, that and frequent degaussing.
Old 10-22-2004, 05:30 PM   #7 (permalink)
Techie Beyond Description

lol yeah I know it's tacky, but if I'd ever get up my air cooling PC Mod you'd see that that doesn't fall too high under my priorities
Old 10-22-2004, 05:54 PM   #8 (permalink)
Master Techie

lol
Old 10-22-2004, 06:44 PM   #9 (permalink)
Wizard Techie

Jaksbak for $200 I would advise you to take that crap back. They have all-in-one home theatre packages that sound much better at that price range. Guess youdecided to forego my advice about getting a pair of good bookshelves? Or maybe you're shopping in the wrong aisle.
Old 10-23-2004, 03:55 AM   #10 (permalink)
Master Techie

maybe i was, cuz i was looking at the receiver/amps which cost 79 and up and the decent speakers were well over 200. this was at circuit city. surprisingly the system i got sounds better than those logitech z-560's that i got plus i get a cd player, tuner and double cassette deck (never use the decks).

what I did is hook the new system up as the front speakers on the card and my altec lansings to the rear speaker ports on the card equaling 4 satelites and 2 subwoofers. nice sounding combo.

bad pic:

Closed Thread