She shuts down and beeps

Status
Not open for further replies.

IsmAvatar

Beta member
For starts, computer information, as always.
Dual Boot (Dual Hard Drive)
Tiger Direct running on AMD Athlon XP 2200+ (who is convinced it's an 1800, and I won't argue). Not overclocked.
BIOS: Phoenix Technologies LTD.
Mainboard: Biostar M7VIQ.
Video card: Nvidia GeForce FX 5200
Fans: 2. Back of the computer running around 4000 rpm. Processor fan running at 2812. They both are decided running at max.
Temps: Windows HD @ 30ºC, Linux HD @ 36, Mainboard @ 6 (probably broken sensor, but the Mainboard doesn't seem hot), Processor 58+ (that can't be good)

So here's the problem. Every now and then, especially when running something 'large', or when shutting down sometimes, regaurdless of OS, the computer will decide to suddenly turn off on me, and the computer will start beeping at me thru it's little speaker. Two different tone beeps for 1 second each and no break inbetween. I've performed numerous searches and not a one said a thing about my case. My computer's documentation doesn't mention it.
My best guess is that it's overheating.
Frequency about once every 3.5 runs.
Whenever this occurs, I tend to lose data, so I don't use my computer much anymore.

Situation/Location
It's pretty hot here. (love to get my hands on a thermometer) Not sweating hot, just uncomfortable, so I'd imagine my computer would be somewhat uncomfortable. I have the computer case out in the open, the left panel off, with my personal fan (about a .45 meters in diameter) blowing in on it. When it overheats, I feel the heatsync and it is burning, so I'd imagine the processor is as hot if not hotter and the temp reading is probably accurate. The lights are off in the room, the shades are drawn, and the windows are open. As you can tell, I'm making the best effort to keep it cool, but it's not working.
I'm not allowed to install A/C (nor could I afford it).

If there's anything I could do to help my computer, just let me know. I'm willing to spend a couple bucks, but anything free would be even better. I've upgraded the Bios, and that seemed to help it (it used to be frequency once every 2 runs).
If there's any other information I can post, just ask.

-IsmAvatar, Software Engineer (ain't doing much of that without a computer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom